trick to removing block-head dowel guide?

fiatmonkey

Tim Hoover
Hi,

I need to replace one of the dowel guides on my 1500 block as the old one was cracked (might have done it when removing the head - dont know).

I have a repacement but need to remove the rest of the broken end still in the block. Any suggestions on DIY? Right now no need to send the block to a machine shop for anything so I was hoping to keep it that way.

Thanks,
Tim

I think mine came out with the head :doh:If the broken piece is large enough to grab with pliers of something, use some PB-Blaster and try to wiggle it loose. If its not grab-able, you may have to use something like a "grabitz" bit for a drill and try that. Just keep picking at it, it'll come out.

Dental tools work for lots of things

I keep a set of dental picks in my box just for things like this. Your's broke because they were rusted in there so you should be able to just pick them out. I wouldn't go after it with any sort of power tool.

I'd run a junior hacksaw blade down it, then tap it together with a small punch so it collapses in on itself. If its a closed hole, use the old spigot bearing trick. Fill the hole with grease and get a close fitting wooden dowel or similar, put it down the hole and thwack it with a hammer, and the hydraulic pressure will pop it out. Wear goggles though!

Drill bit

I use a drill bit that is a little bigger so it bites in. Ues your favorite cordless and spin away. It just pops out.

I keep a set of dental picks in my box just for things like this. Your's broke because they were rusted in there so you should be able to just pick them out. I wouldn't go after it with any sort of power tool.

I thought the same Dale (rusted) but the ends in the block arein there pretty good and not budging.

I will take all of the good advice and see what I can do with it.

Thank you!
TIm

I use an expanding collet.

Bernice

Hi,

I need to replace one of the dowel guides on my 1500 block as the old one was cracked (might have done it when removing the head - dont know).

I have a repacement but need to remove the rest of the broken end still in the block. Any suggestions on DIY? Right now no need to send the block to a machine shop for anything so I was hoping to keep it that way.

Thanks,
Tim

Back