trying to fit 205s on the fronts

myexonenine

True Classic
I've got some 205/60/13 A048 Yokohamas that I'd like to fit on the front.
I'm not sure of the offset of the wheels that I'm running but at the moment I think the tyres would only fit on with 4 spacers (about 18mm), I was thinking of running some after market coil overs on the front with 2.5"x8" springs to allow the wheel to be closer in, guessing ones to suit a honda will fit? and also running either one or no spacers to avoid any rubbing on the body...

Will this work?

tires

those are pretty big for the front they will slide allot easier in the rain. when you try to stop or at freeway speeds they will be allot more susceptible to hydroplaning "for a street car"

185/60s have been known to rub on some cars...

I can see 205/60s on the rear (as I run them) but can't see them on the front, aesthetically or performance-wise...

If you are planning a coil over mod, I think you need to do that first and THEN decide the type and size tire... along with wheels, backspacing and offset... you wanna use.

Opening up the fenderwells, using flairs or complete fender kits is another option.

Last edited:
I'm not worried about hydroplaning as I wont be driving this car in the wet. I'd also like to keep the body stock, the coil overs would be purely to get the tyres to fit.

tires

your not going to be driving in the wet? or your not PLANING driving it in the wet you might get stuck in the rain. the best size tire that i have tried is a 185/55/13 thats what i have there wide and thats the max i would go in the front. the 205/60/13 i would put in the back but the 185's are low profile 13 in tires and smaller in diameter it would help acceleration and would allow you to slip the rear wheels in a corner better especially if it is a stock setup your running

yeah I don't plan on driving in the wet, but if it rains you can always drive really carefully to avoid such problems.
I've deflated one to allow it to bolt on the front, as the spring perch is in the way, and then put some air back in it so I can lower down and test it for clearance. So far it looks like I will need to remove the spacers as I'm running two at the moment and its rubbing on the front of the fender, and it rubs next to the hole where the steering arm goes to the rack, which would reduce steering lock and turning circle, but I can't see me using full lock at speed so a little rubbing there wont be a problem.

I removed the spacers and now they don't rub at the front of the guard and have about 5mm of clearance.

Thinking I will find some coilover sleeves and springs to suit and give it a go.

13"x5.5" Performance Challenger wheels, 29mm backspace, running no spacers. Looks like this might actually work.
IMAG0346.jpg

That's great news. Please post the results of the driving test. I'm thinking to run 205s in the front and 225s in the back once the power is there to support those sizes and would love to know how they fit without having to test them my own (lazy) self.

Are those A048s?

Cheers,

///Mike

i have 186/60's on the front with an 8" wide wheel and it rubs when i turn and go over bumps on the fender lip, i would suggest rolling the fenders so they dont slice your tires up

Any other mods to make the 8" wheel fit? I'm surprised 8" wheels would fit without flairs, even with seriously rolled fenders.

What size wheels/tires are you running on the back?

Thanks,

///Mike

Are those A048s?
///Mike
YES! I got 16 of them pretty cheap, ex Aussie Racing Car tyres, they might not provide as much grip as new and wont last real long, but I have 4 sets!!! most of them appear to have at least 80% tread left on them.

The offset will definitely make those 8" wide rims rub.
Mine are .5" wider than the stock CD58's, and its .25" inside and .25" outside compared to the CD58's, but without the spacer they should sit the same as the CD58's on the outside... hope that made sense, basically they wont stick out any further than the stock wheels :hmm: except for the fact the tyre is wider, which doesn't appear that it will rub, it might still be a couple of months till I get to test them though.

Back