Trying to read engine number

Jari

Daily Driver
Is it possible to read the engine number on a 1500 1980 injection?
The engine number should be on the flywheel side somewhere under the thermostat at the side of the auxiliary air valve, or am i mistaking?
I tried it with a camera but that failed. I want to check the number mentioned in the original owner's warranty and service book.

Thanks.

1699978243994.png

This is where the numbers are on this 1300. They are pretty much behind the coolant hose, so difficult to see.

IIRC on my '86 FI 1500, the numbers are stamped into the upper left as compared to the upper right on the 1300 above. I'm pretty sure I have a pic somewhere.

It's in this post: https://xwebforums.com/forum/index.php?threads/engine-and-chasis-numbers.41704/post-390291
Thanks, i know that post. I always first search forums and internet. But my question is: is it póssible to read it with the engine (and everything else) in the car. I tried it with a stetiscope, unsuccesfully. Otherwise i have to remove the thermostat housing!!

Thanks, i know that post. I always first search forums and internet. But my question is: is it póssible to read it with the engine (and everything else) in the car. I tried it with a stetiscope, unsuccesfully. Otherwise i have to remove the thermostat housing!!
I think if it's in the upper left corner, you "should" be able to read it.

I hope and expect this can be read without dismantling anything. Registration in Australia [all states] involves an official sighting/checking the engine number...

Hey Jari. I agree with Steve and Mike, And reckon it IS there, and you are just not seeing it...

Below are pics from my '81 1500 EFI, USA spec engine. Surely yours is in the same spot ? But likely buried under grease and rust. I suggest you attack that area with cleaners, wire brushes, sandpaper, etc.

Should be easily visible in the car without removing anything. Try a bright light and a camera stuck down there.

20231115_183743.jpg
20231115_183759.jpg
20231115_183838.jpg
20231115_184558.jpg

Last edited:
Some blocks have it on the other side of the thermostat housing. ie towards the front of the car.
I don't have the pics I took of mine with me right now but I think you can see it between the 2 hoses. Don't know if thats an UT thing, but I thought my original block had the same thing.

Yes i was aware of that but mine is a 1500 fuel injected and it is not there.

Look again....carefully......I suspect it IS there. As shown in my pics above. Even the 1982 Fiat official workshop manual says it should be there. Although, yes, there are indications that some of the mid to later in the '80s decade engines had it where Dan's is....

But yeah...it is tough to see...the stamped #s are quite shallow. Even on my block that was cleaned and painted years ago - but never run - I can only see the stampings with a strong light that is angled just so.... Looks like mine says it is a 138BS031 type engine. I would think on a used block you will have to do quite a bit of cleaning and wire-brushing before you will see it....

by the way.....what are you doing with an '80 1500 EFI engine over there in the EU ? I thought you guys only got the carbed engines ? Or was your X re-imported from the USA or something ?

Last edited:
Hey Jari. I agree with Steve and Mike, And reckon it IS there, and you are just not seeing it...

Below are pics from my '81 1500 EFI, USA spec engine. Surely yours is in the same spot ? But likely buried under grease and rust. I suggest you attack that area with cleaners, wire brushes, sandpaper, etc.

Should be easily visible in the car without removing anything. Try a bright light and a camera stuck down there.

View attachment 78796View attachment 78797View attachment 78798View attachment 78799
Thanks a lot! I will try this.

Look again....carefully......I suspect it IS there. As shown in my pics above. Even the 1982 Fiat official workshop manual says it should be there. Although, yes, there are indications that some of the mid to later in the '80s decade engines had it where Dan's is....

But yeah...it is tough to see...the stamped #s are quite shallow. Even on my block that was cleaned and painted years ago - but never run - I can only see the stampings with a strong light that is angled just so.... Looks like mine says it is a 138BS031 type engine. I would think on a used block you will have to do quite a bit of cleaning and wire-brushing before you will see it....

by the way.....what are you doing with an '80 1500 EFI engine over there in the EU ? I thought you guys only got the carbed engines ? Or was your X re-imported from the USA or something ?
Yes, mine is also a 138BS031 (031 means Californian, i think). So i will take a good look again. It was imported in 2004 to Germany an i bought it a few years ago so now it is Dutch. The last production years the EFI version was also available in some European countries, by the way. But never as a Fiat, of course, as Bertone.

produced: 04-1980
sold: 22 november 1980
motornr 03894823 (this is what i want to check because it is registered as a 1565 cc 63 kw which i do not believe. Looks like an other Fiat engine.)
chassisnr 128ASO 00133117

Last edited:
When I build my engines, I am going to mask this area, paint black and then infill the text with white and then some clear coat over the top

Back