U.S. Grand Prix 2021

tvmaster

True Classic
Anyone going to Austin, Circuit of The America's this weekend for the U.S. Grand Prix? The 'W Series' will be there as well to wrap up their season.
Apparently, the stunt driver who did most of the work in the new Bond film is a W Series driver.
Go Kimi? 😜

Last edited:
Anyone going to Austin, Circuit of The America's this weekend? The 'W Series' will be there as well to wrap up their season.
Apparently, the stunt driver who did most of the work in the new Bond film is a W Series driver.
Go Kimi? 😜
Wrap up their season? Where did they run?

W Series: equal cars, unlike F1. Hopefully it leads to F1’s first, woman pilot…

6EC9D87F-B8E9-4F5C-A8E3-D3E86E0C52D4.jpeg

3223008D-7A2D-46D2-BBFE-AF90C90DBDA8.jpeg

Last edited:
I'm the biggest F1 fan you'll ever meet.

I was at COTA two weeks ago, but unfortunately not going for the race. I had a meeting at Tesla in Austin and swung by COTA to look around and snap a few pics.

3E71BC48-EA42-41E2-8F3B-2C979557AADB.jpeg
9B15CA53-B778-432B-AC1A-2924450AA256.jpeg
1E701A62-C38F-4AEF-8AFF-8CE1EB58EB86.jpeg

Strange. I would have thought X19 owners may be big F1 fans. Maybe not.

I am definitely a big F1 fan. And I live about 4 hours north of COTA, and have friends/family I could stay with while in Austin.

I did go to a race about 5 years ago, and it was the most disorganized mess I've ever seen in a "professional" show. Not the race itself, but everything else. For example, I pre-bought a $100 premium parking space. Then they closed that parking lot because of rain/mud. No refunds. Then we were instructed to go to an area downtown where we could catch a shuttle. Drive down there, wait... no shuttles. And no where to park anyway, even if a shuttle did come to pick us up. So we drive to a grocery store at the edge of town, park in their lot, and Uber to COTA. Wet, kinda cold, kinda drizzly, but not a wet race. Then literally none of the COTA staff knew which way we needed to go for the Elton John concert, and we asked many. Finally found where we were supposed to go, and to get there, had to cross a rain filled ditch. Either get wet up to your knees or cross on a rickety 2x12 someone had laid over the ditch. Elton was good but got tired of the rain and cold quickly, so head out to leave. No Ubers allowed in COTA. Hike more than a mile to a gas station outside of COTA to get a ride.

No thanks. The TV works just fine for me...

I did go to a race about 5 years ago, Then literally none of the COTA staff knew which way we needed to go for the Elton John concert, and we asked many.

They were trying to do you a favor preventing you from having to listen to Elton John for a couple of hours. haha.

I am definitely a big F1 fan. And I live about 4 hours north of COTA, and have friends/family I could stay with while in Austin.

I did go to a race about 5 years ago, and it was the most disorganized mess I've ever seen in a "professional" show. Not the race itself, but everything else. For example, I pre-bought a $100 premium parking space. Then they closed that parking lot because of rain/mud. No refunds. Then we were instructed to go to an area downtown where we could catch a shuttle. Drive down there, wait... no shuttles. And no where to park anyway, even if a shuttle did come to pick us up. So we drive to a grocery store at the edge of town, park in their lot, and Uber to COTA. Wet, kinda cold, kinda drizzly, but not a wet race. Then literally none of the COTA staff knew which way we needed to go for the Elton John concert, and we asked many. Finally found where we were supposed to go, and to get there, had to cross a rain filled ditch. Either get wet up to your knees or cross on a rickety 2x12 someone had laid over the ditch. Elton was good but got tired of the rain and cold quickly, so head out to leave. No Ubers allowed in COTA. Hike more than a mile to a gas station outside of COTA to get a ride.

No thanks. The TV works just fine for me...
Parking does seem a little poorly planned for sure. Luckily, we took a junket and let the bus driver get us special treatment. What we've noticed is poorly planned fast food, and absolutely no way to listen to play by play over personal devices, unless you fork out for the F1 app, and that's bulls!@#

Sounds like something to replace "Bad Chad" reruns.
I think the last woman F1 hopeful had a bad accident and lost an eye. She showed a lot of promise in the real cars.
Unfortunately, race cars with equal equipment are never equal when they get to the track.
I thought the last woman, F1-hopeful married Toto Wolf and ran the Mercedes Formula-E team?

Last edited:
W series use an Alfa Romeo engine, same (basis) as in the 4C ... which also finds it's way into some Fiat products....

the racing is pretty good and close too, a lot more overtaking than a typical F1 race

SteveC

W series use an Alfa Romeo engine, same (basis) as in the 4C ... which also finds it's way into some Fiat products....

the racing is pretty good and close too, a lot more overtaking than a typical F1 race

SteveC
Yes, that's what we saw today - more overtaking and wheel-to-wheel corners. The F4 race wasn't bad either. Paul DiResta spoke at our dinner Friday, and said a friend of his started the W Series.

I thought the last woman, F1-hopeful married Toto Wolf and ran the Mercedes Formula-E team?

That was Susie Wolff, yes Toto's wife.

He was talking about Maria de Villota. She died within a year of that accident in the Marussia. That accident was so weird, I'm not sure anyone ever confirmed what exactly happened.

Huge F1 fan here! I've been following since the late 80's. I was at Monza in '96 when Schumacher won. I was at the inaugural Indy race. So yeah, I'm a fan.

As for women in F1, if they're fast enough, why not?

Huge F1 fan here! I've been following since the late 80's. I was at Monza in '96 when Schumacher won. I was at the inaugural Indy race. So yeah, I'm a fan.

As for women in F1, if they're fast enough, why not?
If the back markers are slow kids with rich investor's, why couldn't those be rich, slow women?

Last edited:
Back