Ugly Car Poll

Don't know if I'd like to say I own one... I knew a guy in college with one. A real bad funky AMC pale green color. If you see one of these beast up close and personal you can tell they were aiming at the Camaro/Firebird... but there is something a tad wrong from almost every angle. The long hood, the huge doors, the short trunk, even the round tail lights are reminiscent of the early 70's Camaro. But it just doesn't work at all for me. Car and Driver named it Best Styled Car of 1974!

And this is where the underdog lover in my jumps in. Man, I'd love to have one of these poor things, running really nice, out to lay some ugly stick on some old Camaro or Firebird.

4608497243_372209578f.jpg

Another AMC

SX/4 - for exactly the reason you see. This was a great car for heading up to Steven's Pass or Snoqualmie back in the late 80's and early 90's. I'd have another one in a heartbeat if I had the place to keep it and a reason to drive it...

sx4.jpg

I dont see the Gremlin or the s x 4 as ugly cars. I kinda like them. I just cant think of an ugly car that I would want to own, yet. Those AMC,s are cool.

Well Thanks Rey, I kind of agree...

but man my step-kids hated that car so much that they had rather walk 2 miles from school than being picked up in it (of course the other kids were being picked up in BMW's and Benz's), until ski time that was. Then they LOVED it.

I remember a coworker who had a Gremlin with the V8 right after I graduated high school, I probably would have bought it, but she was reluctant to sell it as it was pretty rusted.

From the wiki page: The V8 engine cut the Gremlin's zero to 60 mph acceleration time to 8.5 seconds, and Hemmings reports that a V8 Gremlin can more than hold its own against other small-bore V8-engined cars of the 1970s

I remember a coworker who had a Gremlin with the V8 right after I graduated high school, I probably would have bought it, but she was reluctant to sell it as it was pretty rusted.

From the wiki page: The V8 engine cut the Gremlin's zero to 60 mph acceleration time to 8.5 seconds, and Hemmings reports that a V8 Gremlin can more than hold its own against other small-bore V8-engined cars of the 1970s

In 1981 or so I was out cruising around with a friend in his 1970 Buick GS455 Stage 1... And we witnessed a stoplight drag between a V8Gremlin and a 1980 Turbo TA... That Gremlin hooked up and was gone! The screaming chicken sticker nearly slid off the hood of that TA out of embarassment!!! Hilarious.

My friend can't believe he got rid of that old GS! Unreal the cars that were available cheap back then! I think he paid $800 for it! I donated way too much to the gas fund and octane booster fund for that old pig. (6 freaking mpg at best as I remember it!)

How does one get...

barf out of a keyboard?:dead:

this MUST be against the new NFC rules-don't we have a general clause about 'decency' or 'community mores' or something - shame on you Potts:hmm2: if that's your real name.

Agree with the beatdown assessment of the Bradley GT. To me it looks like it was drawn as a 'cool car' by a 7th grader... then they actually built it exactly to spec.

When you go to the polls next year...

remember that Mitt Romney's father was Chairman of AMC. How far has the fruit fallen from the tree is the proper question.:lol:

Just sayin':D:D:D

Working for the highly nepotistic Railroad industry, I find it simply AMAZING Mitt Romney's dad was the freaking CEO of a Automotive corporation, and he didn't end up in the Automotive industry. I'm guessing having a CEO/Govenor dad doesn't hurt finding a job somewhere else though...

When I was a young idealistic railroader, I put in for a certain training program at my company... when my 'mentor' manager got back from vacation, I told him what I'd done! His first response to me was a "Do you come from a railroad family?" and when I said "no, my dad was career military" he quickly changed tact and went on to talk about how awesome the training program was... Needless to say the chick who got the job had a dad and husband already working at the company!:dance2:

George R. wasn't....

much of a car guy (being the Rambler supremo pretty well shows that) and he was just one more carpetbagger govenor with White house pretentions; so, in a way Mitt is hewing pretty close to the tradition, the mediocre scion of a mediocre political family. Pretty much what GWB was before 9/11 catapulted him into another dimension that his father never dreamed of. Both Mitt and his dad exhibit(ed) the same symptom of White House-itis, which is the "..I will do anything and be anything you want to be President..." He may yet get the nod at the convention but Lord only knows what he actually is. The WSJ just called him "Obama's Running Mate" over the Massachusetts health care thing.:sigh:

I had a relative who was good friends with Roy Lunn... Mr Lunn even sent me a whole crap load of automotive stuff on the Renault Spec racer when I was in college... I should have sucked up and tried to find a job when he went to AM General! I'd have had a hard time not asking "So what's up with that Matador thing AMC built a few years back dude?" or telling him what a total piece of junk my father-in-laws AMC Eagle was! (First car I've ever seen where you didn't need a key at all. Just grab the 'key receiver' and give it a twist! The column lock didn't work either! And we won't talk about it's straight 6 single barrel performance...)

I so feel like I'm piling on AMC, really only the Matador's skewwed styling bothered me... some of the other cars people have listed I actually thought looked pretty good. Gremlins have that so funky their cool look... The SX4 is almost radical for someone who has relatives out in a mostly gravel road part of Missouri.

I found another 'lots of wrong' car... The Marcos Mantis!!!

Marcos%2BMantis-1973.jpg

Back