Uneducated man needs to learn about struts

Instead of modifying the VW insert to fit into the Fiat housing, I modified the mother VW housing to fit into the Fiat. And also modified them into coilovers at the same time." /QUOTE]

I remember your write up, you were very creative in making jigs and tools get the bits to fit.

Brad: these are good instructions, good luck with it.

Paul

good stuff here. Thanks Brad. I've had many cars with struts of course (even an '81 X & some X1/9 parts cars years ago), but it's only this year that I've seemed to become suddenly up to my elbows and also interested in improvements. Don't have much to add here, but plenty to learn. I'm likely going with a coilover type setup for a combination of practical reasons (oddly enough, cost, also, X #2 already has a coilover conversion & for extra fun, a good friend who's super-excited about dialing in corner weights with me...so go figure). But I still have a 128 with the same setup up front & my '85 currently has some Vicks springs & new KYBs courtesy of the PO. Indeed, the KYBs seem "perfectly OK" (that's how I'd put it) on an X 1/9 chassis compared to feeling to completely inappropriate over-stiff crap on a 124...so, coming from a similar Fiat experience background as you, that may be helpful to hear. Also, the PO found after he installed the Vicks springs (vs, stock cut one prior) the car sits a bit nose high relative to modern concepts of "what looks cool". In my case, I was immediately experimenting with 185/60 front & 205/60 rear tires so doing so leveled the car out. For reasons not related to the strut/spring/tire combo, my '85 is no wonderful handler (at compared to what it should be) at the moment, so that's another topic. Guess really, I figured I should add from another long-time 124 driver KYBs on these cars are not to be avoided in the same way as they are on 124s. Beyond that, have fun!

Bernice could give you the complete picture.

From what I've experienced, coilovers typically have a collar that screws up and down letting you set the preload/ride height/corner weights (however you want to describe the whole inter-related process).

You can buy sets of different weight springs, especially good if your car will see different competitive environments.

They also usually use a replaceable cartridge and cartridges come with varying adjustability features.

Plus they appear to be slightly smaller in diameter.

Back