Unknown Part Name

Discussion in 'Discussion Forum' started by Tavalin, Dec 2, 2018.

1. Tavalin

Tavalin Nebraska Mike

Hello Xers... I am again embarking on a short quest to find a rubber type gasket that covers the sending unit and has two (looks like) fuel vapor hoses going through it. Mine is all busted and am in need of a new one. I remember someone had a exact replica of the part but I unable to find that thread I started on it. For some reason Fiat+ comes to mind but I am not really sure.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Mike

2. Dr.Jeff

Dr.Jeff True Classic

I recall there were a couple options. One was plastic (from Henk's Parts Holland maybe?) and one rubber (from Eurosport and MidWest Bayless). There may be other sources that someone else can offer.

Tavalin likes this.
  3. ng_randolph

ng_randolph Bjorn H

4. dllubin

dllubin True Classic

1500 engine compartment complete - 2018_08_04.jpg Mine was pretty deteriorated so I took the rubber off the steel frame underneath, cleaned it up with a wire brush wheel, and painted it.

MikeHynes likes this.
  5. Tavalin

Tavalin Nebraska Mike

Dr. Jeff & ng_randolph,
    That is it!!! Fiatplus has the rubber one. Henk’s is hard plastic.
    Another purchase,
    Thanks,
    Mike

6. 7982X

7982X True Classic

Didn't know that Matt had them, but knew Chris Obert had them.

7. MikeHynes

MikeHynes True Classic

8. Dr.Jeff

Dr.Jeff True Classic

I recall others have cleaned up the appearance of the various rubber covered items (fuel cap, all of the firewall hole covers, air intake tube, etc) with spray plastic coatings, like "Plasti-Dip". But if it is falling apart - as they will eventually - then I don't think any coatings will do much good.

9. dllubin

dllubin True Classic

You could apply it to the steel part inside the failed factory rubber and it should hold up OK. I had some Rustoleum engine paint and used that.

10. Dr.Jeff

Dr.Jeff True Classic

Do you mean remove all of the original rubber, then coat the bare metal plate with the PlastiDip?

11. dllubin

dllubin True Classic

You could if you like the rubber look. I didn't think of that at the time and just used paint. For the steel piece, I think paint is just as appropriate. I never considered replacing the original rubber part as they are not very durable. Mine already had cracks in it when the car was delivered new. I think I actually prefer the look of the painted steel frame over the original rubber part.