Update on my X engine swap

Have you tried unscrewing the spark plugs and physically investigating where the pistons are in relation to the distributor (and the valves)?

This way you should be able to make sure the ignition is connected right without relying on any external information or manuals.

Have you tried unscrewing the spark plugs and physically investigating where the pistons are in relation to the distributor (and the valves)?

This way you should be able to make sure the ignition is connected right without relying on any external information or manuals.

That's it the way I found top dead

The guy that gave me the motor had it running last year when he pulled it, so I think it is a problem with setting the distributor, that I had to install or something with the wiring since it was wired for 1300 then changed to 1500 and now I have to try to figure how to wire back to 1300.

Don't forget new and properly gapped plugs

Only thing I'd add to Chris StL's list...

If you've been trying to start it for a while, even new plugs can be fouled with unburned fuel. A new set of plugs only costs a few bucks, only takes a minute to install them.

Ok I was just brainstorming with my friend that was helping me, and we both forgot a big step, we never set the distributor rotor to #1 before installing it when motor was set to tdc to #1. So I will have to wait another 2 weeks when he is able to help again.

Now when I do tdc, should it be with the intake or exaust valve open?

I think this is going to solve it, thanx everyone

Top dead on the compression stroke is where you need to set it. If you are using cylinder #1, remove the spark plug, put your thumb over the spark plug hole and have someone crank the engine. There should be no mistake on when that cylinder is on it's compression stroke. When you are on the compression stroke turn the crank by hand to line up the timing mark on the crank pulley or flywheel. Only turn it forward if you find that you've gone past TDC find the compression stroke again stop cranking prior to TDC. It may take a couple of attempts. Pull your distributor and re-install it setting your distributor rotor to point at the terminal on the cap that corresponds with the # 1 cylinder. This will get it close enough to run. Once running set the timing to spec. (I used cylinder #1 in the example but you can use # 4 as well - either will give the same result)

Both valves must be closed....

we never set the distributor rotor to #1 before installing it when motor was set to tdc to #1.

Yep, that'll explain everything....

Both valves must be closed on the cylinder that is firing. That way when the spark fires, the burning fuel will push the piston down to turn the crankshaft, instead of just puffing out through an open valve.

Don't skip Chris's checklist though, not even though you're sure you know what the problem is. If you had gone through that checklist in the first place, you wouldn't have missed the distributor timing.

(And remember what I said about the plugs).

The checklist will be done and I got a case of the cheep plugs, a lesson my dad tought me when I was young kid, and also extra oil and filters since I am sure I have gas in the oil now.

So in two weeks we will be trying again and let you all know the progress.

Back