V-22, OSPRAY

Please don't worry too much....

the current safety record on the Osprey puts it a little above average for all military aircraft. Many of us have lived near the flight path of Navy air stations (I did for 19 years) and never experieinced anything worse than noise. The Osprey is now a fairly mature technology and should be OK. Imagine how many take offs and landings they accomplish in a year's time and that may put the accidnents into some perspective. :)

"Iwakuni Mayor Yoshihiko Fukuda told reporters after the ship's arrival that he will lodge a protest with the central government."

Must be an election year on Okinawa!:p:devil:

the current safety record on the Osprey puts it a little above average for all military aircraft. Many of us have lived near the flight path of Navy air stations (I did for 19 years) and never experieinced anything worse than noise. The Osprey is now a fairly mature technology and should be OK. Imagine how many take offs and landings they accomplish in a year's time and that may put the accidnents into some perspective. :)

I totally agree... noise is a much larger issue near a base. But to the local people, it sounds like money so they live with it. Accidents usually happen literally 'ON THE RUNWAY'...

My parents have owned a house near NAS Oceana since 1972 and I can think of 3 crashes outside the base fencing. One was the lucky recent crash where the F18 hit the apartment building. Then I remember in 1973 or 74 a F4J Phantom made a F4J sized hole in the very back of a area being developed. And sadly the other was the only one that killed a civilian. An A6 Intruder went down taking off, and a woman driving by got caught in the fireball that rolled across a back road. Maybe there are more, but in over 40 years, I only know of that one civilian death, and that is near a fighter base where accidents are usually more frequent.

The jet/airport noise has pretty much been constant for 40+ years!

Back