value of these rare wheels ?

I was just wondering what the value of my aluminium wheels would be,,they are pretty rare,,made by " JPC " ,,,known as the six point "Snoflake" design. They are 13x5.5 and weigh aprox 10 lbs each. They are in pretty good shape,,can't seem to upload a pic,,,,anyway,I was just wondering what they might be worth. Someone saw them and offered me $700. about 5 years back and I was crazy not to sell them,as I really like them,but if I get a good offer,I just might part with them as I can use the cash.

I have owned about 50 sets of fiat wheels over the last 10 years I think on the low side 250 and if the condition is perfect maybe 500 I say this because other than being different they are basically stock wheels the current market only covets rare madnesium wheels or wider wheels used for racing or more agressIve stance

But what do I know? I've only sold about 45 sets of wheels in the last 10 years

Someone saw them and offered me $700. about 5 years back and I was crazy not to sell them,as I really like them,but if I get a good offer,I just might part with them as I can use the cash.

I woulda taken the 700!

We could give you an idea of what they're worth if you post up some pics and all the specs (size,width,offset,tire brand, size, age, overall condition etc...)

Wheel value (pronounced "reeeal value")

I had those on my first X19 back in 1982. For about $150 each they can be polished and painted to look like the red X19 in the picture. Value is set by the guy that wants them. Since you only see them once or twice a year I would pay up if I found a set that I wanted. In todays market nice wheels are $500 each for a new car so $500 each for the "must have" set is reasonable. That said you may need to spend $600 and relist on Ebay a lot of times to maybe get that money. Guess I restated Jeffs comments.
Bob T.

I was just wondering what the value of my aluminum wheels would be, they are pretty rare, made by "JPC", known as the six point "Snoflake" design. They are 13x5.5 and weigh aprox 10 lbs each.

Some people call this model "Jupiter", but another name they were marketed/sold under was "Astralite". Here's a photo of them taken from an early-1970's Rich Motors accessories catalog:

astralite55x13richmotors.jpg

For more info, just read the previous thread linked to by 2re. :D

They are in pretty good shape,,can't seem to upload a pic,,,,anyway,I was just wondering what they might be worth. Someone saw them and offered me $700. about 5 years back and I was crazy not to sell them,as I really like them,but if I get a good offer,I just might part with them as I can use the cash.

You should've taken that $700 and run with it! :lol:

The first set as pictured by 2re were mine, I think I sold them ~10(?) years ago for about $175-$200 with the lugbolts. The set of wheels that are on the red '74 X1/9 also shown by 2re, I got in NOS absolute mint condition from a former Rich Motors employee for $400, & they stayed with that car for awhile until the owner (a friend) opted for the "other" 100+ 4-spoke wheel design (as noted in that old thread), instead. (note to self: ask him where the Astralites went??? :confuse2:)

Depending on current condition, I'd say your Astralite's are probably worth $200-$400 or so for the set, slightly more if in very good condition. They're not entirely common, and when coupled with the right car, can make for a very unique-looking "period" vehicle. :thumbsup:

That being said, vintage alloy wheel prices for Fiats have really spiked in the last 5 years or so, mainly for the "more-desirable" Campagnolo/Cromodora magnesium wheels, but the other-maker alloy wheels are slowly coming up, as well. So you might get more? It really depends on finding the person(s) who just has to have them.

I'd say try 'em at $350-$400 & adjust according to condition &/or your desire for a quick sale, whichever is the greater motivation. :D

Do you also have the lugbolts & centercaps?

In todays market nice wheels are $500 each for a new car so $500 each for the "must have" set is reasonable.

$500 each??? $2k a set? That's WAY overpriced for these wheels (IMHO).

That said you may need to spend $600 and relist on Ebay a lot of times to maybe get that money.

Unless he was absolutely in loooove :love: with these wheels & going to keep them for his own car for a long time, I think dumping $600 into them before trying to resell them would be a complete waste of money. There's no reason these wheels should be priced even near that kind of money. Your talking "rare & desirable model, oversized, lightweight magnesium wheel" kind of money for a "semi-rare, not-as-desirable, near-stock-size, semi-lightweight aluminum wheel". Barring the gone-bonkers buyer (it happens!), these aren't even in the same ballpark. :no:

Thanks for all the replies expecially to Jeff for that vintage add pic. The truth is, I didn't sell them to the guy who offered me 700 because firstly,I was using them at the time on my 124 Coupe (and they looked great on that car),,and secondly, I felt bad selling them at that price.But if I had to sell them now,I would want $400. for them regardless of what the going prices are.These wheels do come with centre caps (although caps are rough),and the wheels are in aprox same condition as the used ones above,,they weigh aprox 10.5 lbs each which is pretty light considering my Magnesium Abarth CD-30's and Campagnolo 4 spoke wheels weigh almost as much,and cost a heck of alot more !
I had them (JPC Snoflake's) on a Lada once,then on my Coupe. They were originally on my friends 74 Spider, and for the record,,I thought they looked absolutely killer on the Spider,,,magic combination for some reason. I also have a set of 13" honeycomb 8-hole MOMO's that are in fine shape that I may part with,,gonna want around 400 for these as well if anyone is interested. I haven't weighed these,but I'l bet they don't weigh more than 8lbs each. These looked great on my X,but I replaced them with my Campy's.

Last edited:
Jeff I was saying maybe 500 for the set on the high end and 250 on the low end......

That's about right. :nod:

My response was to Bob Turchan's post, though, not to yours. He was saying $500 per wheel :eek: (after being restored to "as-new" condition).

How' did you find that ?,,Ha haaa,,,,"dat's dee one" !! I've got the Abarth's on the Coupe now,,,:dance2:
I wish I had a great extra Fiat for the extra sets of wheels I have !!

NICE wheels clarification.

Hello Jeff,
By NICE wheels I was referring nice wheels for ANY car , not just Fiats. For most cars I propose that the most costly wheels are in the $500 each range. I just sold two sets of Fiat wheels at $1800 and $1500 for the set. I kept the $2,000 wheels for my car. New wheels for a BMW, MB, etc can be well north of $500 each.
I did not mean to infer that these wheels were in that price range. They are unique but not as collectible or rare as many others and therefore not as likely to trade at higher price. Just my opinion. ( which is suspect since I have mostly lost money in these matters)
Bob T.

Not sure I agree..... Most wheels are under 100 dollars each brand new. Just open up any car magazine and see what is for sale. It is all dependent on quality and type. Single cast monoblock wheels are usually less than 300 each new even for nice stuff. The Fiat world of wheels you can buy some new rotas for 500 for the set with free shipping sometimes. THe magnesium ones yes are expensive because of what they are. But even then it depends. I sold some magnesium cromodoras once for 300 bucks because they were the wrong type and were ugly... I think it all comes down to Taste and quality... and those two factors vary. I think you really lucked out on your magnesium ones. I sold my Campy wheels just like yours for 750 just about 15 months ago. However yours were nicely restored so that is probably fair considering...

Wheels at $500.00

Not sure I agree..... Most wheels are under 100 dollars each brand new. Just open up any car magazine and see what is for sale. It is all dependent on quality and type. Single cast monoblock wheels are usually less than 300 each new even for nice stuff. The Fiat world of wheels you can buy some new rotas for 500 for the set with free shipping sometimes. THe magnesium ones yes are expensive because of what they are. But even then it depends. I sold some magnesium cromodoras once for 300 bucks because they were the wrong type and were ugly... I think it all comes down to Taste and quality... and those two factors vary. I think you really lucked out on your magnesium ones. I sold my Campy wheels just like yours for 750 just about 15 months ago. However yours were nicely restored so that is probably fair considering...

Jeff,
I agree with you and Stitch on all comments. Both of you are certainly wheel experts and it shows in the analysis. Good point from Stitch on the "spike in prices lately"
Just to clarify on the $500 number, I would suggest you look at the hundreds of OEM BMW and Mercedes wheels and note the price point. Starting is about $350 up to over $1200 each. Also go to Tire Rack and sort by price. The good stuff starts at $350 and moves to $850 pretty quick.
There are plenty of cheaper wheels but that is just what they are. The snowflakes are an example of cheap wheels. The castings are poor, the dimensions are not perfect and often there are minor flaws in the wheel making them tough to balance or perhaps they don't run true. Same applies today on the cheap wheels except manufacturing is a little better and they are not as bad.
Just my two cents.
Bob

Back