Valve Springs and caps

duderduderini

True Classic
Hey Guys
I was wondering who sells the heavy duty valve spring caps that go with the isky valve springs. I have tried twice now to buy both from a vendor but there is always a problem with the payment and they dont take paypal. I know midwest has the springs but no h/d spring retainer (top)
Thanks

OE twin cam springs are the same dimensions as the sohc, except they are made of thicker wire... sometimes all really heavy springs do is sap power.

Stock retainers will work fine for the level your building to...a couple of hundred dollars for titanium retainers would be overkill.

SteveC

Sold last set of twin cam springs I had in stock to maz124 for his 1500 build, but I could get more...TRW make them and that's what I use in all my mild builds.

retainers nothing OEM new... I have some alloy ones ex fiatorque, but I've never used them in a build before so I don't know how they last... but I could sell you those if you want them.

I'll be buying some titanium stuff from O/seas for the race car engines.. and non shim buckets, and light lash caps ... but I'm revving harder and lifting further so it makes enough difference to be worth it... cam/springs/retainer/buckets/lash caps is well over 1k.

SteveC

Titanium sources?

Steve, are you willing to share your sources for titanium valve spring retainers, light buckets, lash caps, etc.?

Anyone else have a source?

Thanks,
Paul Davock

frightfully expensive retainers from difulvio in italy. Only ones I know that would be a high quality certified material ... probably available cheaper from china but would you trust them?

shimless buckets ... well sime in croatia has them... never used his stuff .. yet ... might try it...but I run the risk of wiping out a $7/800 nitrided steel billet cam for the build I want to use them in... the alternative to his are about three times as much and usually with car parts you get what you pay for....

Pittatore in Italy made them once upon a time... bought some when I imported a big bunch of cams back in the early 90's and they worked brilliantly... but even back then they weren't cheap...all used up years ago.. they wont do any unless I spend about 20k on cams again... and that's not gonna happen... they were all dull and grey looking... so had been subject to a hardening or nitriding process.

serious speed shops in italy will make them for you still... for me its a material and hardening thing... two nitrided surfaces rubbing against each other is a pretty strong setup...after all the shim is nitrided too.

Back in the day cam lobes were cross drilled to get oil to the shimless bucket too, but I've done it without on lots of engines too.

so a soft regrind cam and unhardened shimless buckets ...hmmm, probably not a combination I would try...

Lash caps you can get made all over the place in whatever size you need.

Hussien will be pleased to know that an alternative supply would be Volvo... I think the Isky springs we all use are originally wound and listed for a Volvo engine too... there are tuners in Sweden who sell shimless buckets for volvos... but I haven't seen their offerings .

New cam always new shims too ...always new shims ... especially with a nitrided cam...but still best practice with anything else too if you don't go shimless.

SteveC

Shimless buckets are a far superior way to go when building a head due to their light weight and removal; of the possibility of shooting out a shim. It allows a little more leeway when adding lift to a cam too since the OD of the shim is slightly smaller than the OD of the bucket. Thats my experience working on zetec fords anyways...

What is the diameter and thickness of a stock bucket without shims? I'm wondering if one of the Ford zetec applications might work here too as a cost effective solution.

so setting cam to bucket clearance

Is done underneath like on alfas?
This isnt necessary on a mild build for the street is it steve?
I am not going over 7k in revs

Back