Valves and Shims - Canned Air wins the day

Dave Fusco

Daily Driver
Thanks to those who made posts about shim removal - tools, tricks, and, of course, canned air

I have the valve shim tool. A small set of pick tools. And a few retractable magnets.

The hero of the story is canned air. I was trying to take the shims out with the tools and magnets, but they just wouldn't come out. I then found the canned air posts and suggestions.

For those of you reading this after me:
1. Use the valve shim tool to depress the bucket
2. The pick tool (small pointed, metal pick) can be used to pry up the shim from the bucket, by using the notch
3. Spray some canned air in the notch you used to pry up the shim; that should loosen it up if not pop it out
4. If needed, insert the canned air plastic tube (that should come with it) as far under the shim as you can go and spray again; of course, use a rag to cover the area. I didn't get a lot of oil spray, but others posted that they did
5. For me, it popped it up and sometimes out altogether
6. Use the magnet to pull it out

Note: I did find that rotating the lobe so it was 'almost at 12:00' worked best for me

There are lots of other advice/tips on this process (lubing the valve shim tool, making sure the notch is rotated 'to the side' first, so it turns and is accessible, etc.)

Just wanted to share that if you're reading this - don't hesitate buying some canned air. Made the whole process way easier for me.

Many thanks to Dan for this post - https://xwebforums.com/forum/index.php?threads/valve-adjustment-part-one.25490/

I've got this machine I plug into the wall. It intermittently makes a bunch of noise and can spit air out of a hose attached that is attached to a big can. Will that work?
All joking aside, there actually may be something to his specific reference to canned air. It has the little straw on it, like a can of silicone lubricant. As he noted, that straw was helpful by sticking it under the edge of the shim - there by forcing it upward. ;)

Some air nozzles for compressors also have a smallish metal tube. But they tend to be thicker than the straw on a air can, so it might not get under the edge of the shim.

Back