Verdict on the new Plaia/Obert Strut Top Mounts?

Dan Sarandrea (Phila)

Waitin' On Parts...
I have a set of the new Plaia/Obert strut top mounts (and a set of Plaia pivots) on my wish list at fiatplus.com, just checking in with the group to get the consensus verdict on whether these are a success....:hmm:

(Already have a set of bigfoot doublers on hand...)

As I'm still balls deep in my engine rebuild, these are going to have to wait until spring. I do need to replace all 4 though.

Dan... the PIVOTS are a MUST...

... the others fill a NEED.

Most likely when you pull your struts apart you will find the stock phenolic parts either broken or worn... like mine were.

The Pivots replace and re-center and make your steering easier. NOT ONE person has ever NOT raved about them.

As for the Strut Mounts and the Doublers, they fulfill a NEED that usually fixes (band-aids) "tweaked" towers and the resulting effect they had on the mounts because of excessive abuse!

A pothole could be to blame also!

The strut mounts can be banged back into shape but are a weak metal and the new Obert ones are supposed to be of higher quality. Plus, the rubber he uses is at least NEW and again supposed to be a better quality than stock.

The doubler's strengthen and reshape, or better, "hold" the shape of the tower.

I've only used the pivots but have NO DOUBT that if you NEED the mounts or doubler's, you can't do better than "Plaia-designed", Obert products!

( Plaia Designs unsolicited endorsement)

I have the strut top mounts and the under the tower plate braces (name of the units escapes me). I had the plates first and I noticed a difference with the rear more stable. When I put in the strut top mounts as Tony described, steering and car response improved better than 50%.

They both are a must unless you already have a strut tower top stabilizer, then just get the mounts.

I put the strut mounts on back in Sept or something. All is well. I did not do the pivots but I cleaned and lightly greased everything and that alone made a huge difference in steering ease, I can't imagine it getting much better (or needing to be) but the pivots sure get high marks from others. So far the mounts are great.

My car is tucked away until the snow is definitely gone - I have no room in the garage to work on the car - so, I can't install my plates & mounts until the Spring. I already miss driving the car, and it's only been about six weeks....

I'm presuming that they will make a noticeable difference, based on the experience of others..

Installed my doubler plates in the rear yesterday. I installed new C.O. strut mounts at the same time, but in fact the old mounts were completely sound , with 120K on them (no tears to the rubber or the bonding of the rubber to the plate), just the inner tab was bent from the tower deformation. I leveled the tower before installing the new parts.

The biggest noticeable difference is that the rear of the car is now at least 1/2" higher than it was previously :eek:

Pivots!!

I haven't used the mounts but the pivots are like power steering for your Fiat! I've had them in place for a couple years I think.

outstanding

We have the Bigfoots, Pivots, strut mounts, 7/8" front sway bar with Marks sway bar mounts and Henk's Strut cross strut braces coupled with new Struts and IAP springs
two words
Formula Car

Back