Very Old Fiat on Craigslist

I posted it back in Oct 2018
Sorry Jim, I did not recall seeing it posted before. The old ad link from last year is dead, do you happen to recall if the price was the same? It does not seem that far off from what I'd expect (guessing) this car to be worth in this condition.

Sorry Jim, I did not recall seeing it posted before. The old ad link from last year is dead, do you happen to recall if the price was the same? It does not seem that far off from what I'd expect (guessing) this car to be worth in this condition.

No reason not to repost after a year, I just recognized the car. I remembered to put the price in the thread title back in 2018, so yes, $3950. Same price.

Let's add a locally stored picture, so we can have a reference when the CL listing ends again.
1935 Fiat Ardits in AZ.jpg

put the price in the thread title back in 2018
Ha, I totally missed that.

I'm sure the lack of necessary parts to restore it will keep a lot of potential buyers away. But the asking price is low enough to make a good start. Just judging by the pictures, the condition compares to a couple of Ford Model A's that my dad had sitting in a shed for about 50 years. And being from 1930-31, they are roughly the same age as this Fiat and actually somewhat similar in body design. So I'm guessing it would be about the same process to restore the Fiat's body and metal work, which really wasn't that bad. Funny, our much newer X's have way more rot than this old Fiat.

I like the idea of storing a picture local!.. great thinking!!
I used to link to the CL ad picture, but it isn't persistent after the ad expires. I dont always remember to do this local copy and it is a pain, but I also like being able to see the pictures a year from now. :)

With Xwebs ability to store images locally now it will really help in the future. Not just in cases like this, but for all those threads with instructional information where the pictures are vital. There are so many ruined threads due to the Photobucket thing. It is a bit more work to do it, but if we remember to do so then it will certainly pay off down the road.

That would make a great hot-rod or rat-rod.
Put an LS2, supercharged or a Shelby 350 in it and call it a day.
That is if parts are unobtainable.
Just some food for thought.
Mike

In some cases if the vehicle has no real value restored, parts are not available to restore it, and the cost to do so is prohibitive, then modifying it into some sort of custom vehicle really can make more sense. I have no idea about this one, I'm not familiar with the market nor the availability of parts. I suppose another option if you want to keep it original 'looking' would be to restore the body (looks to be doable in this case), but put a different (possibly somewhat related) drivetrain in it (say from a later Fiat?). Especially if it really won't hurt the value of it (as in there isn't any).

In some cases if the vehicle has no real value restored, parts are not available to restore it, and the cost to do so is prohibitive, then modifying it into some sort of custom vehicle really can make more sense. I have no idea about this one, I'm not familiar with the market nor the availability of parts. I suppose another option if you want to keep it original 'looking' would be to restore the body (looks to be doable in this case), but put a different (possibly somewhat related) drivetrain in it (say from a later Fiat?). Especially if it really won't hurt the value of it (as in there isn't any).
Dr. Jeff,
I like where you are going but a one of a kind hot rod would turn heads and bring the Fiat moniker into the world of custom rods.
A blown Shelby 350 with a totally custom suspension and drivetrain would set a precedent never before seen.
And think, this all is coming from a purest...lol
I really love the Bonnie and Clyde look of the car and think it would work.
Keeping most of the original exterior with a totally modern interior and drivetrain would be perfect with fat tires and wicked wheels would set this apart from everything else out there.
I wished I had the money and time for such a project.
Just say’n,
Mike

this all is coming from a purest...lol
What's funny is I'm the opposite. I'm always bashing you purests and proposing lots of customization and mods. Except in this case, no idea why but somehow it seems like a car that should retain a stock look to me. But I totally get what you are saying; the hot rod world is always looking for something different, and this certainly would be.

what impossible to find bits look to be needed? There's a single hole in the dash but I'm sure something could be had that looks appropriate for whatever application is needed. If the engine is seized a good bore and custom size pistons and rods are easy enough to source. You can make any seal with not too much work/$$$. I am sure any axles are restorable. Body work is body work, we all have to do that at some point. The glass is all flat so cheap in comparison.

Also, with any car of that age, upholstery is always custom made so that doesn't make this car any more difficult than any American 30's car.

Yes some changes might not be 100% OEM but I don't really see it being much more difficult than any non Model A restoration.

Edit: Also, with any car of that age, upholstery is almost always custom made so that doesn't make this car any more difficult than any American 30's car.

Last edited:
For the most part it should be pretty straight forward. Much like restoring my dad's old Model A's. But being a Fiat I'm not sure. There might be some really weird stuff in the drivetrain or other mechanical areas that won't be so easy. But I don't know that, just speculating. As you say, anything could be made but at a hefty price. That's why I said IF it could not be restored at a reasonable price then there would be other options.

I wonder if this the kind of thing Jay Leno would be interested in?

Back