Very rare Magnesium Cromodora Daytona w/ Yokohama tires For Sale

petex19

True Classic
I thought I would never do this but they're just collecting dust in my garage so my loss if another members gain.

4x98mm bolt pattern

Very rare ultra lightweight Magnesium 13"x6.5" Cromodora Daytonas
w/ Yokohama Advan A048 super sticky 185/60/13 (f)
205/60/13 (r)

Also included are hub-centric rings for an exact fit for the X1/9.

This is the real deal unobtanium at its finest. The wheels weigh like 8.5lbs. each and the tires don't even exist in 13" on this side of the ocean as I ordered them directly from the U.K

'Ricardo' most certainly will shake his head as I pretty much begged him to sell the wheels to me a couple of years ago but I really do love my other set of chrome wheels so I can't bear to just see these wheels collect dust.

The tires have only 200 miles on them and the wheels with Abarth center pieces are excellent with only flaw being that at some point before I owned them they must have been painted as paint has started to peel off on two of the wheels but other then that they are flawless as you can see in the photos.

I haven't listed them on Ebay or anywhere yet giving other members first dibs on them.

Asking $2000.00 o.b.o

PM me or e-mail me at petex19*hotmail.com

'PeteX1/9

Last edited:
Note on tires

Some may not be familiar with these tires.
They are street legal race tires which have awesome grip when warm, along with much better feedback that normal tires this size, due to their stiff sidewall.

They can be outright dangerous in standing water, however.
So use them only in dry weather or light rain and be extremely careful in downpours.

Thank you so much 'Ulix' for stating those very important facts. I completely forgot to mention that the tires are completely street legal. I've only ever driven them on city streets the tires have never seen abuse or a race track.

'PeteX1/9

I never had any money when I first owned my X 1/9 so I would buy two tires at a time and the rears were always nearly bald…. The car always scared the crap out of me in anything but dry days. Now I only drive on nice days so having some nice fat sticky tires would be great, do they fit OK or would I have to modify fenders? They fill the wheel wells great, is your car lowered? Just early in my restoration of my second X and don’t want to limit my options too much so is there anything else I should consider? (my bertone has bad tires and ugly worn Tron wheels but haven’t decided if I should steal my 81 X wheels or buy new, want something light and not necessarily larger rims)

No fender modification is required they fit perfectly fine but do to the low offset no spacers are required which is even better with the wheel on more of the hub especially with the hub-centric wheel rings that are included you get a perfect fitting wheel. Yes my car is lowered as I have coil over shocks but they are not required to fit these wheels.

'PeteX1/9

Coil over shocks? I bought stiffer springs for my ’81 spider from Vick’s and I absolutely love them – solid but not jarring, firm but not harsh, lowered but actually less likely to bottom out on anything – Anyway, I asked them about doing the same thing with the X 1/9 but they said it raises issues with alignment. If it is just uneven tire wear, I don’t drive it enough to matter but are there other issues (other than the car is lower and as I get older it gets harder to roll out of the car:sigh:). Is a coil over setup a better plan? Where can I get those?

Pete, I love the color of your car. I have a two-tone (red-grey) 86 bertone which I didn’t think I liked the red until I removed some plastic and saw the truer red underneath but your X is stunning. The two-tone has kinda grown on me but was still kicking around the idea of painting it a single color or at least dropping the line between the two colors lower …. maybe accented with a thin pinstripe in the upper half. Anyway sorry to introduce so much chatter into your thread, maybe I can give you a call.

Coil over shocks? I bought stiffer springs for my ’81 spider from Vick’s and I absolutely love them – solid but not jarring, firm but not harsh, lowered but actually less likely to bottom out on anything – Anyway, I asked them about doing the same thing with the X 1/9 but they said it raises issues with alignment. If it is just uneven tire wear, I don’t drive it enough to matter but are there other issues (other than the car is lower and as I get older it gets harder to roll out of the car:sigh:). Is a coil over setup a better plan? Where can I get those?

Actually, the inverse is true. If you lower the car just by springs, and do not make adjustments to the strut mounting points, you will end up with a significant negative camber issue.

With coilovers, (as can be done with regular struts), slotting the mount bolts on the lower mounting point can return some of that camber.

I shouldn't put this in here, but.....

I ran a front and rear set of A048 on my car for about a year. That was the most fun I have ever had in a car. I was a crazed man driving like I was Fangio. I loved the experience. My confidence ran out before the grip ever did.

However, one day, I was taking my daughter to a soccer game. In the middle of summer we got caught in a light drizzle on the freeway. That was a scary scary experience. I wanted to keep calm, but I was honestly praying for help anytime I had to touch the brakes. Don't get caught in the rain on these tires. With all the weight in the rear, the, rear of the car kept wanting to come about, and this with a brake bias valve in the car that I was actively adjusting.

Again, love these tires in the dry, you'll have a grin ear to ear with tires this sticky. Don't get caught in the rain.

Ed

I've re-listed the wheels and tires on Ebay and posted a working link so my appologies :wink2:

Good Luck to all,

'PeteX1/9

"Get them before their gone"

Only 4 hours left with '"NO RESERVE" and their at $1400.00 for a very rare and amazing package of wheels and tires.

I'd love to see someone on XWeb get them as they are extraordinary :love:

Good Luck to all,

'PeteX1/9

Ya know Pete considering this auction is ending on a sunday morning I would say you are doing quite well on this auction. GLWS

Well it's afternoon Eastern time where I am but Thank-you.

Hopefully it climbs a little bit more at the end :eek:mg:

'PeteX1/9

Congratulations on winning your new wheels :dance2:

I hope you love them as much as I did.

'PeteX1/9

Back