Vic's Cam gear won't fit?

Man Cliff, this car just keeps throwing you curveballs. :mad: Oh the joys of owning a Italian car! And some people think I'm crazy when I say these are not reliable daily drivers. :D

As you know, check the obvious things first; the "lollipop" connector between the long shift shaft and trans input (at the trans end, #16 in pic), and the bolt at the bottom of the shifter lever that connects it to the long shaft (at the hand lever end, inside the tunnel, #1 in pic). Most likely something simple like the bolt that connects the lollipop to the trans fell out (#19), or the rubber portion of the lollipop separated (middle of #16). To me the bolt and nut on the end of the lollipop (#19 and 15) are sort of a oddity; it needs to be loose enough to allow some pivoting, yet not so loose to cause slop or come off. All of my X's had a plain nut there (#15), without any sort of retainer (locking nut or washer, etc) to keep it on. So I always replace it with a nyloc nut to keep it in position.

uplo_10-35-59.png

However, if everything mentioned above checks out and the input selector going into the trans itself is moving as it should (with shifter lever movement), then a really remote (and very unlikely) possibility might be the same thing that happened to my trans. The internal fork that translates the input selector action could have broken. That's the part we discussed previously from your spare parts. Here is how my broken part looked:

022.JPG

That allowed the shifter to flop about with no action in the trans at all. However as I said, this is extremely unlikely...our transmission experts on the forum said they had never seen this before. Another extremely unlikely possibility is a broken shaft like this X owner found:

20161229_133440.jpg

Unfortunately either of these requires the trans to be torn down to get to it. But I'm certain your issue will be something external (as mentioned above). Let us know what you find, and if you need any parts.

Did you just measured 30mm is camshaft and 5mm or 5.2mm is pin
I find is some time drill with 4mm I just drill with 5 and not problem
Crank gear is same from 1.1/1.3 and 1.5 a others is different

L
Man Cliff, this car just keeps throwing you curveballs. :mad: Oh the joys of owning a Italian car! And some people think I'm crazy when I say these are not reliable daily drivers. :D

As you know, check the obvious things first; the "lollipop" connector between the long shift shaft and trans input (at the trans end, #16 in pic), and the bolt at the bottom of the shifter lever that connects it to the long shaft (at the hand lever end, inside the tunnel, #1 in pic). Most likely something simple like the bolt that connects the lollipop to the trans fell out (#19), or the rubber portion of the lollipop separated (middle of #16). To me the bolt and nut on the end of the lollipop (#19 and 15) are sort of a oddity; it needs to be loose enough to allow some pivoting, yet not so loose to cause slop or come off. All of my X's had a plain nut there (#15), without any sort of retainer (locking nut or washer, etc) to keep it on. So I always replace it with a nyloc nut to keep it in position.

View attachment 26049

However, if everything mentioned above checks out and the input selector going into the trans itself is moving as it should (with shifter lever movement), then a really remote (and very unlikely) possibility might be the same thing that happened to my trans. The internal fork that translates the input selector action could have broken. That's the part we discussed previously from your spare parts. Here is how my broken part looked:

View attachment 26048

That allowed the shifter to flop about with no action in the trans at all. However as I said, this is extremely unlikely...our transmission experts on the forum said they had never seen this before. Another extremely unlikely possibility is a broken shaft like this X owner found:

View attachment 26050

Unfortunately either of these requires the trans to be torn down to get to it. But I'm certain your issue will be something external (as mentioned above). Let us know what you find, and if you need any parts.
Checked the shifter bolts on both ends Doc and they're ok. Shift shaft moves in and out freely but very easily with little resistance so I was assuming it was internal? Everything external is still intact but you can move throughout all the gears but no movement. Maybe we have your same luck with the fork thing who knows? Anyhow, all the more reason to get on the rest of the engine and attach it to TonyK's donated transmission.

So this one's for Andrew at Vick Auto. As I stated I would send out a formal apology if I managed to install this pulley without seeking help from a machine shop so that's exactly what I'm doing now. Being stubborn it did take me a good deal of time and I won't get into specifics but I did successfully install it today after several attempts of trying various things. As much as I hate to admit it, most likely a lack of skill on my part. Andrew, please accept my humblest of apologies.

That internal shifter piece is a good candidate at this point in the car's life. I have seen 1 failure in the countless transmissions I've rebuilt. Was on a car with over 100k miles. About 6 years ago.

Glad you got the gear installed.

That internal shifter piece is a good candidate at this point in the car's life. I have seen 1 failure in the countless transmissions I've rebuilt. Was on a car with over 100k miles. About 6 years ago.

Glad you got the gear installed.
Thanks Andrew

Back