VOLTAGE!

Hmm,

I'm starting to think I should invest in a new regulator as well after reading this. I've had very similar problems. I've done the brown wire mod (including replacing the original brown wire - there was nasty corrosion at it's junction block), cleaned all connections in the fuse block, cleaned all the grounds on the car, the car has a new batttery, replaced the alternator belt, cleaned all the contacts inside the instrument cluster (thought it was an issue with the gauge). I've never been able to catch the drops in voltage on a multimeter. When first started the voltmeter will read perfectly horizontal. Usually after everything warms up (but not every time) the gauge will drop to just above the red. Sometimes it will inch back up to horizontal.

It looks like you have the same alternator as me. Where did you buy the regulator?

It's a standard Bosch internal regulator in this case - for instance, search for Volvo 1990 240/740/960 regulator & cross reference from there. Could be much cheaper than buying one sold specifically for a Fiat...

Just looked up the Volvo regulator. It's three times what I paid from Vick. And I was using my employee discount on the Volvo unit..

Just looked up the Volvo regulator. It's three times what I paid from Vick. And I was using my employee discount on the Volvo unit..

Looked for the Bosch unit, or Volvo packaged? I only say Volvo as that is what I work with. Any Euro car of similar vintage (mids 80's-90's) would likely use the same unit. Shouldn't be more than about $30 for genuine Bosch, less for alternate brands. Vicks looks like one of the generic options that go for about $15...

Back