Wanted: Bosch 65 Amp non AC alternator

PaulD

Paul Davock
It can be in any condition, I will be rebuilding it.

I have to do an AC delete to fit my custom intake manifold.

I believe these were on late 80's cars.

Paul Davock

I have the one I took off my '81. New adjustable voltage reg/brush holder, no pulley though (I stole it for my GM conversion). Not sure which brand the '81 was. If you want it PM me or reply back. $10? (+shipping which is probably going to be a bit, they are heavy little buggers).

Hi Paul. My '81 FI X1/9 (no A/C ) came with a Bosch 65A alternator.
Bosch # 0 120 489 942. Same as 0 120 489 943.

It is a single pulley type with a bolt-on shroud on the back cover that takes a flexible cooling tube that goes to the side vent.

I wanted to rebuild mine, but all the through bolts were so seized it wouldn't come apart. And there were some cracks in the housing. Even if I could get it apart, as a minimum it would have needed new bearings. As I'm sure you know, these alternators are the type with a bolt-on brushes and regulator unit. Would of course had to change that too. Would have probably been $60 or so at least just for the bearings and regulator, as a minimum to rebuild myself.

I poked around Ebay and was able to find a fully rebuilt unit for $51 US with free shipping and no core charge. Concluded it wasn't worth the work to rebuild mine. Actually the rebuilt unit seemed to be quite nice quality - and it sure looks nice.

But - bad for you - the rebuilt unit came without pulley, fan, or back cover. No big deal for me - I can just swap them over from my old unit. But not so good in your case...but if you could find a dead alternator cheap to swipe them from you'd be okay.

I think that my particular alternator was used on FI X1/9s and Stradas from '80-'82. I think after that Fiat used Bosch # 0 120 489 823. Not sure what the difference - if any - is between the Bosch 942/943 and the 823. But I think that they are interchangable.

I think - but am in no way sure - that the carbed 1500s used a 55A Marelli unit. Don't know if they used a shroud.

I do know that all the A/C cars took a totally different alternator. The mounts are totally different. The A/C alternators cannot be used on a non A/C X1/9.

I still have my old alternator complete and off the car. If you would like to borrow it for test-fit on your car, just let me know. I wont be needing it for a while.

Hope this helps. Cheers, Doug

I do know that all the A/C cars took a totally different alternator. The mounts are totally different. The A/C alternators cannot be used on a non A/C X1/9.

That's not correct. I removed the AC on my car and kept the original alternator. I simply changed the belt length (and may have redesigned the bracket, I don't remember-- it was 15 years ago) to accommodate the change, and everything worked just fine.

Options:

Jeff has one that may work. It also has no fan or pulley, but a I have an extra set.

I need to place the alternator in the lower position, because the AC position interferes with my modified intake manifold.

Paul D.

Back