Wanted: FIAT 850 Factory hardtop front mounting brackets

Dave Bassett

True Classic
Recently, I was able to buy a very nice factory 850 hardtop. Unfortunately, the front mounting brackets are misssing and I am looking for a pair, one, or even a tracing with the bend in the middle specified by degrees. A picture is attached. Please let me know if you have something. Thanks.

Attachments

• 850 Hardtop Brackets.jpeg
    850 Hardtop Brackets.jpeg
    194.7 KB · Views: 8
Most hardtops, including the original Bertone one (offered in the USA around 1968), used the stock 850 Spider latches to the windshield frame. The one you have pictured confuses me, it possibly looks like the one used on the Racer?

Most hardtops, including the original Bertone one (offered in the USA around 1968), used the stock 850 Spider latches to the windshield frame. The one you have pictured confuses me, it possibly looks like the one used on the Racer?
From what i recall the racer had numerous tabs for a 6mm bolt, 10mm head across the front. But its been 30 + years since I saw one.

The original Bertone 850 steel hardtop used a pair of the metal brackets as shown by Dave to attach the top to the windshield frame, not the metal/plastic latches as used on the factory convertible top & the aftermarket Snugtop fiberglass hardtop.

The Racer used neither of these, instead having 4 steel tabs welded to the top of the windshield frame which were bolted directly to the inside of the steel Racer hardtop.

IMG_20240320_214846217_HDR~2.jpg

Last edited:
I have an old friend in Atlanta with a very original 850 with hardtop - not an xweb member

I‘ll get him to take some photos of the fasters. Please be patient- it might be a few days

I’m going to take it off his hands and hope to get it back on the road next year
Michael, thanks so much! What I really need is a tracing that will provide exact dimensions. The angle of the bend somewhere in the middle would also be helpful in terms of getting an accurate reproduction made, If I get that far I will probably get a few pairs made at the same time.

It is actually a replica but very close to the real thing with all the original Abarth emblems and other exterior parts from 1968

I am pulling together parts to assemble an original AB 202 OT 1000 engine to go into it and I am most of the way there with the necessary parts.

this actually is a 1973 850 sport spider that was purchased new by Roger Saunders, whose lifetime ambition was to create authentic Abarth Berlina Corsa and OT 1000 replicas. My friend in Atlanta provided him with parts for the Corsa and much advice over the years

After Roger passed away, his wife called my friend and let him know that Roger wanted him to have this car.

That was 10+ years ago, and my friend is not been up to doing anything with the car and wants me to have it. I am planning on this being my retirement project!

Roger grafted a 1967 nose onto the front of the car and purchased a variety of parts, including seats and supplemental radiator from FAZA. Roger got on well with Al Cosentino I think

It comes with a 903 motor but I want to put a true Abarth OT 1000 motor in it

I am trying to get my friend to join up on this forum, but I think the best I’ll be able to do is get him to take some detailed photographs of fasteners and other hardware holding the top onto the body. I have to think it’s original in the way it’s attached but hard to say for sure.

More soon I hope!

Michael

It is actually a replica but very close to the real thing with all the original Abarth emblems and other exterior parts from 1968

I am pulling together parts to assemble an original AB 202 OT 1000 engine to go into it and I am most of the way there with the necessary parts.

this actually is a 1973 850 sport spider that was purchased new by Roger Saunders, whose lifetime ambition was to create authentic Abarth Berlina Corsa and OT 1000 replicas. My friend in Atlanta provided him with parts for the Corsa and much advice over the years

After Roger passed away, his wife called my friend and let him know that Roger wanted him to have this car.

That was 10+ years ago, and my friend is not been up to doing anything with the car and wants me to have it. I am planning on this being my retirement project!

Roger grafted a 1967 nose onto the front of the car and purchased a variety of parts, including seats and supplemental radiator from FAZA. Roger got on well with Al Cosentino I think

It comes with a 903 motor but I want to put a true Abarth OT 1000 motor in it

I am trying to get my friend to join up on this forum, but I think the best I’ll be able to do is get him to take some detailed photographs of fasteners and other hardware holding the top onto the body. I have to think it’s original in the way it’s attached but hard to say for sure.

More soon I hope!

Michael
Michael, That would be great. More information is always good.

Back