Wanted header / Exhaust

Ron Avery

True Classic
I am looking for a performance header or complete exhaust, with a passenger side exhaust pipe exit. For my 1976 X1/9.
I would prefer a none smog setup.
Thanks

Hi Ron,

I have the old IAP style header on my 85 and 78. You can get this style from MWB or Vicks on their exhaust pages. The one on my 78 is from Vicks, but I see they have changed the design a bit to have a larger tube after the collector and an adapter for the stock exhaust. MWB seems to have the original IAP style that is deigned to bolt up to the stock muffler.

This it the original IAP style from Vicks installed on the 1500 I put in my 78 and then installed in the car. You can see how the collector on the header mated right up to the stock muffler. This style of header passes under the center of the suspension rather than routing through the hole in the firewall like the stock single down pipe. This is the same style as installed on my 85, but I don't know where the PO got the 85's header.
mockup_5.JPGIM003096.JPGIM003097.JPGexhaust_2.JPG

Both vendors sell a non stock muffler to go with the header if you want to go that way.

Is this a passenger side exit for the tail pipe?
Yes it is. The system curls to the driver's side, and returns to the passenger side thru the muffler. I would have chosen this system if I hadn't needed a catalyst system; all stainless, too.

I have the Vicks header and really like it. I wouldn’t recommend the muffler though. The outer skin separated from the inner support and rattled something fierce. Had to replace it, barely had 50 kilometres on it. 😡The header fit pretty nicely with the exception of needing to trim the rear lift point as it was too close to the collector. I went with a magnaflow turbo muffler which has a very nice low growl. This header will not accommodate the stock catalytic converter which didn’t bother me but definitely makes the exhaust stinky…expect some custom fabrication to complete the setup…the header I bought has a separate flange tube that can be attached to bolt to the stock muffler. If used, will require clamping or welding. (Welding preferred)

Thanks Mike; I ended up getting an Allison single-outlet exhaust, as it was available with catalyst; a bit loud but very musical, and it passes state emission tests. I wanted (and got) a bolt-in solution, no fabrication required.

Thanks for all the replies. jsadamski looks like we have similar lifts. Mine is from American Custom Lifts out of Southern California. After giving it much thought I’ve decided to not change the exhaust manifold and the rest of my system. I think for what I am doing with my Mods. It will be fine with what I have.
Thanks, for all the replies.

Jefco - really like your Allison setup. Is that a system that is still available somewhere? I like that it uses the stock routing. Noticed you are in Portland. I’m in the Milwaukie area.

Jefco - really like your Allison setup. Is that a system that is still available somewhere? I like that it uses the stock routing. Noticed you are in Portland. I’m in the Milwaukie area.
Sadly when Mark Allison sold his business to AutoRicambi he no longer sells these. He might have some stock, I was looking into this last night and couldn’t find it on the AR site and his old site points to AR for the products that are currently avialable.

I got my system 5 years ago from Allison; AR only lists the dual-outlet (non-cat) exhaust currently.

Comes thru the stock hole, no reduction in ground clearance/ obstruction of jack point.
I have this IAP/MWB/Vicks style long tube header on 3 of my Xs. The central rear jack point is not obstructed on any of them. The jack point is very slightly lower than the tubes on my cars, I suppose if you have a jack with a cupped lift area (like the center jack in this pic) it could be a problem. My low profile jacks both have flat pads, and I have no trouble using them on the center jack point when servicing my cars.
20200304_153548.jpg

IMHO ground clearance is really only an issue if you are straddling something in the road. This pic is the lowest point of the tubes on my 85X and this header has been on the car for at least 10 years. A little crusty, but no dents or scrapes from ground contact.
IMG_2131.JPG

If I needed a cat, or had an AC equipped X, I would go with the Allison set up.

I used the vick's header on my car with AC, little hard to see but the AC is just below the alternator.

Attachments

• P1310048.JPG
    P1310048.JPG
    292.6 KB · Views: 20
  • P1310049.JPG
    P1310049.JPG
    286.9 KB · Views: 20
  • P3200048.JPG
    P3200048.JPG
    212.6 KB · Views: 20
Back