Regan Burba

True Classic
Hey,
I am new to the Xweb forums, my dad and I recently picked up 2 x1/9s, one is a 1980 converted to carbs, and a 1987. We are restoring both of them, and we scoured the internet for some parts, but cant seem to find any reasonable replacements. We are in the Connecticut area.

We are looking for a few items at the moment, i am sure we will have more things needed down the line, but this is it so far

-Front air dam + plastic cover
- windshield
- engine cover

1980 could have been carb car... Could be either in '80 and '81 was all FI.
Those are going to be hard to find reasonable... It is after all, a relative term.
Lots of folks opt for converting to '74 style pods and blades or just do a bumper delete.
I have seen engine covers come up. Just keep an eye out on Fleabay.
The windshield is another tough one. I will need one soon and I will poke around with local suppliers and see if I can't luck out. The problem is unlike an '83 BRAT I was able to find local the X is more of a one-off. The BRAT shared with 4 other models so they benefit from that.
Since you say you are restoring them you have a little time on your side.
Welcome to X ownership and the forum!
Good luck with your cars!
Also, don't forget photos!

You should be able to get a new windsheild from a local glass installation company, the X windsheild installs like any modern windshield with similar materials.

I would suggest removing the old one yourself and do any repair needed in the channel, proper repaint with top coat before they come with some good cure time. Don't forget to put the inner trim black back on before they install the glass as it is basically impossible to install after the fact. The outer trim you will need to cut from the face of the glass and then glue it back on after the primary install.

Midwest does have good used ones for sale that you could acquire and do the whole job yourself with materials from NAPA.

Regan,

Congrats on acquiring two X's. There is pretty good availability of parts if you know where to look. Here are some options:

1. there are several companies that specialize in X1/9 parts. Two of the most reputable are:
www.midwestbayless.com
www.vickauto.com
I've bought a new windshield from Vick in the past - I think it was around $350. I don't know if the still stock them but you can call and ask. MidwestBayless is showing a used one on their site for $149 right now.
2. The FS&W site on Xwebforums (which you've already found) is a great resource
3. eBay has lots of parts listed - there's an engine cover listed ther now http://www.ebay.com/itm/1977-77-fia...ash=item4b1a0de422:g:R-cAAOSwFJBZR0yw&vxp=mtr

Be sure to be very specific when asking for parts as different model years may have different versions. For example, when you say "front air dam" and "plastic cover", that can mean several different things especially since you have two different year cars! Front air dams varied by model year. The really early ones (74/75/etc.) had a small metal chin spoiler. When Fiat started hanging 5 mph impact bumpers on the car and later integrating them into the body design, those chin spoilers went away and were replaced by a rubber air dam that was part of the bumper assembly. I'm not at al sure by what you mean when you say "plastic cover".

Pictures are always helpful as is the exact year you want the parts for.

Hope that helps.

Ed

Be sure to be very specific when asking for parts as different model years may have different versions. For example, when you say "front air dam" and "plastic cover", that can mean several different things especially since you have two different year cars! Front air dams varied by model year. The really early ones (74/75/etc.) had a small metal chin spoiler. When Fiat started hanging 5 mph impact bumpers on the car and later integrating them into the body design, those chin spoilers went away and were replaced by a rubber air dam that was part of the bumper assembly. I'm not at all sure by what you mean when you say "plastic cover".

Pictures are always helpful as is the exact year you want the parts for.

The OP was very clear about the year of each car - it's stated in the very first sentence:
Hey, I am new to the Xweb forums, my dad and I recently picked up 2 x1/9s, one is a 1980 converted to carbs, and a 1987.

That being said, they both share the exact same air dam, radiator grille & bumper-top cover assemblies (1979-on version).

Thanks for the clarification Jeff. Wasn't sure that the 1980 X had the same bits underneath as did later years.

Ed

Sounds like you and your dad will have a lot of work ahead of you...doing two restorations. Hope it is something you two can enjoy together.

I have the complete front air dam (spoiler), ends, bumper, grill, trim and anything else you need. It's all in very good condition. The downside is I'm a long way form you so shipping will be costly. If you want more details please send me a message through the profile page.

I'm with Karl, you might be able to get a new windshield through a local auto glass shop. I believe they are available (provided you do not demand an original Fiat piece).

Be aware of price gougers, some sellers like to prey on the market for used X1/9 parts.

Thanks for the clarification Jeff. Wasn't sure that the 1980 X had the same bits underneath as did later years.

Ed
1979 was a hard break point of sorts. Body parts for bumpers and the like remain the same through the end on the run. Interiors are very similar as well. 83 went from welded rails to bolted rails. The seats, covers and foam changed very little and could be adapted with not much effort.
Lots of little changes with switches and stuff like that but that is getting down to the brass tacks.
Regards

Last edited:
Hey,
I am new to the Xweb forums, my dad and I recently picked up 2 x1/9s, one is a 1980 converted to carbs, and a 1987. We are restoring both of them, and we scoured the internet for some parts, but cant seem to find any reasonable replacements. We are in the Connecticut area.

We are looking for a few items at the moment, i am sure we will have more things needed down the line, but this is it so far

-Front air dam + plastic cover
- windshield
- engine cover
I do have the engine cover. the late model that has the smaller covers on the side correct ?? would 100. + shipping work for you?
mikemo
you can use my e mail as I try but often here on a daily basis
welcome to the fold!!
oh yea
mikemo90@aol.com

Back