Warren Magazines

lookforjoe

True Classic
Been on a nostalgia run regarding magazines of my early/mid teens (mid 70's), I always thought these were comics, but found that they were categorized as magazines to bypass the comic codes.

Creepy & Eerie were the main ones, then I discovered The Spirit & later, Vampirella (can't imagine what the main attraction was there :D) I've been buying up copies from that time period....

IMG-7813.jpg

Rich Corben was one of my favorite artists then. I remembered him when Heavy Metal came out in the early 80's.
IMG-7812.jpg

I recall those periodicals, but never read them. Seems like there were a lot of stuff like that back then, before the internet eliminated much of the odd printed materials. I suppose when old school items like this becomes interesting again, it must mean we are getting old. :rolleyes:

A little off topic, but on the subject of interesting magazines. The other day I was looking for a representative X1/9 image on "Google Image", and one hit was a magazine cover from South Africa. Seems there are a lot of Fiats there. This cover featured a turbo'd engine swapped X that looked like fun:
x19_media_SouthAfricaMagazine.jpg

Being the OCD (wtiht really bad impulse control) person I am, I've already picked up another 24 copies (Eerie this time) from a couple sources, and have another couple dozen or so Creepy and Eerie coming. I don't care about mint, I want to re-read them, not fondle them in the baggies. Paid $3-$7 per copy. Problem now is that I HAVE to fill in all the inbetween missing numbers.... (from the early-mid 70's era, not so concerned about 60's or late 70's-80's issues...yet) So much for that MFactory LSD I was going to buy this month....

IMG-7814.jpg

IMG-7815.jpg

Also found a new magazine called "The Creeps" that started in '16, illustrated by a number of the artists from the 70's Warren era, so I had to buy all the back copies to get current on that one also. They won't be here for a month or so, so I have time to read all my existing an incoming copies :D I haven't read a comic book since the 80's!

Last edited:
You're bring back lots of memories.

When I was a youngster I loved to go to magazine stands (any store with a large selection) and thumb through all sorts of different periodicals. Being from a rural area and long before the internet, it was one of the only ways to see what was going on in the rest of the world (non "news" content...I've never cared to hear about all of the world's problems). Naturally I migrated mostly toward automotive publications. But there was lots of other content I found interesting, including things I never knew existed (I was raised in a rather sheltered environment). We really didn't have any decent book stores in our area. Only one theater that showed one movie over and over for a couple months (was not much of a movie person anyway). And could not afford to travel much. So there weren't many opportunities to get outside stimuli.

For these reasons/prior experiences, to this day I like magazines as my form of casual reading. Perhaps it's a "age" thing but I prefer printed material to online subscriptions. But they don't seem the same as I remember in the past. Now they are more 'advertisements' than content. And the quality of writing is extremely poor (wonder if these authors even finished school).

Consider yourself lucky, this hobby of collecting old magazines is much less expensive than many others you could be persuing. Where are you finding them, eBay?

I agree. I don't like reading online (besides forums). I like magazines for the same reason I have all my vinyl records from the 70's-80's. It's a visual/tactile thing. I bought all the Road&Track/Car&Driver Volvo books back in the day :D Same with books. I prefer reading hard cover to soft cover. Paper quality & typeset make a big difference to the experience.

EDIT - eBay, and I found an online comic shop - mycomicshop.com. Also, my son-in-law is a comic book fanatic, so he is hunting down (in FL) a number of individual copies I can't locate.

Last edited:
Back