Water in the front trunk

86X

True Classic
Hi all,
I installed a new seal on the hood when I got the car, it did not have one. Every time it rains I get water in the front. A lot. it is just sitting not being driven in the rain. This is very perplexing. The hood fits nice and snug.
anyone have any ideas?

Do you have any holes drilled (or rusted) low on the firewall from the cowl area into the frunk? That would let water in.

No i don't see any that could cause it. Here are a few pictures.
IMG_2591.jpg
IMG_2592.jpg

I found the source of the leak.it may be hard to see in the picture. The nose section was not welded to the fenders. I decided to use hot glue to seal them for now. I asked my wife if I could use her hot glue gun. She brought it out and started sealing the holes. Perhaps she does not trust me with the hot glue gun. Of course I don’t blame her 2 weeks ago my pocket knife slipped and I jabbed my rest. I hit the bone, I had to go get glued up to stop the bleeding. She took my knife away for a few days 🤣 She did a great job! It has rained very hard and it stayed dry.

IMG_2624.jpeg

Has your car ever had work done in that area?

One would normally expect some seam sealer over the edges where the parts were welded or overlapped. This would have been done after the body was dipped in the catephoetic primer baths and before the finish coats were applied.

Hard to tell from your image which we are seeing.

I don’t know what work had been done by Rudy. I just know he painted it and took great care of the car.

I don’t know what work had been done by Rudy. I just know he painted it and took great care of the car.
X1/9's shouldn't be left out in the rain because they sprout rust everywhere quickly. If you don't have room in a garage at least buy a $40 car cover at Wallyworld to keep the water and leaves out. Once these cars develop rust everywhere they become parts cars. There are countless threads on this site from people that bought pristine well cared for cars that turned to rust buckets in no time at all.

X1/9's shouldn't be left out in the rain because they sprout rust everywhere quickly. If you don't have room in a garage at least buy a $40 car cover at Wallyworld to keep the water and leaves out. Once these cars develop rust everywhere they become parts cars. There are countless threads on this site from people that bought pristine well cared for cars that turned to rust buckets in no time at all.
Yep I agree with you. I have a very nice cover for it. It’s an all weather cover that fits it perfect. It does not let water in and has and has a nice soft inside. I try to keep it covered but I just love driving it.

Yes there a few small places I need to address. That’s not filler it is where the metal is cracked. I need to sand and touch it up, it’s small. There is also a place on the nose of the car and but the drivers door where some paint came off. I am barring it to a paint shop to have the color matched. I think the spots I need to fix are small enough to use my airbrush.

Back