Waves of freezing rain

JimD

Waiting for Godot...
We have been getting waves of freezing rain all across the Midwest this weekend. Here in STL we have been pretty fortunate that the temps have risen to freezing or just above during the day, so the pavement has been fairly driveable. Anything above ground level is coated, cars, fences, and trees. As far as the I can see.

IMG_1780.JPG
IMG_1774.JPG

IMG_1776.JPG

IMG_1785.JPG

IMG_1781.JPG

Just stay inside. I can drive in any amount of snow, I won't go anywhere on an icy day.

Stay safe

We have been getting waves of freezing rain all across the Midwest this weekend.
I don't want to sound SMUG, Jim, but we are enjoying 24 dgrs C outside here at the mo! I'm just about to hop inside to get another cool Kiwi beer out of the frig. :)

cheers, Ian - NZ

Hey Ian, we get 4 seasons every month here in the Midwest. It was 16F overnight and it climbed to 41F this afternoon (Saturday). Tomorrow looks like it will hit 54F, it will be 62F by Tuesday, back in the freezer overnight into Wednesday with a chance for snow on Thursday. Wheeee!!! :)

7day_2.jpg

Hey Ian, we get 4 seasons every month here in the Midwest. It was 16F overnight and it climbed to 41F this afternoon (Saturday). Tomorrow looks like it will hit 54F, it will be 62F by Tuesday, back in the freezer overnight into Wednesday with a chance for snow on Thursday. Wheeee!!! :)

There is a reason they call it misery :D

I grew up in Midland, Michigan we had many ice storms and the results were beautiful! Like trees encased in glass. The fields around my home were massive sheets of ice. After one such storm we had high winds the next day. Perfect if you could talk mom of an old sheet and fashion a drag shute like you might see on a top fueler. Strap some plastic on your snow boots unfurl that shute and hang on! That was the day I learned it was not possible to walk against high winds across an expansive ice covered field with plastic strapped on your boots! Fast forward to life in the South... Had a freak ice storm couple years back and the purpose grown pine trees where not capable of supporting the weight of the ice. Sounded like a war zone! Fifty and sixty foot trees were bending under the weight and snapping in half. I watched a twenty some foot branch break off just missing the car driving under! Then my time in the mountains... Spent the night at the top of the mountain waiting for the ice to melt in the morning... I like the snow and the ice and the mountains but not at the same space and time... Ever.
Regards

Back