Weber 32DATRA feature function

bruinbro

True Classic
I’m posting a couple of internet photos with attendant closeups of a feature that is a mystery to me. Anyone here know what this boss/orifice and linkage is for?
1702178533486.jpeg

1702183341142.jpeg

1702183374628.jpeg

1702183404826.jpeg

Float bowl vent.
More details in a while, unless someone else posts them up before me.

Thanks! What does it vent to? I have an electric fuel pump and when I switch the ignition on but don’t turn the engine over fuel starts coming out of the orifice. It’s not plumbed to anything. 1974 X.

It runs to the carbon cannister...

if your carb is leaking from there then your float level is set way too high

SteveC

Hmmm, I would have expected a '74 to come with the 32 DMTRA instead of 32 DATRA - the difference is the provision for a manual choke in the '74, a water choke like you have in '75 on - otherwise essentially the same.

And as Steve says, if you are getting fuel through that port either the float is way too high, the needle valve is sticking, or your electric fuel pump, also non-stock, is putting out too much pressure.

The way it is supposed to work, that port is connected to the charcoal canister. When the motor is running it is held open by the lever to allow air from the canister to enter the carb bowl and balance the pressure; shut the motor off and it closes to stop the fuel in the bowl from evaporating away; should excess pressure develop it vents the excess back into the canister.

If you no longer have the canister you can leave that port open and uncapped, and all that will happen is that your garage will smell of gas. On the other hand, there's no reason not to get the evap control system working if you can - there is zero pewrformance cost and your car will be more pleasant to be around.

Thanks all! Going to adjust the float level and find out from Bernice why there isn’t a vent line (it’s the car I bought from her).

Not sure if this is readily available or redundant but i just bought a Haynes manual off ebay and this dropped out when i opened it up last night. Saw this thread and thought i'd throw it up on the off chance it might be of use....
IMG_6507.jpg

IMG_6508.jpg

Not sure if this is readily available or redundant but i just bought a Haynes manual off ebay and this dropped out when i opened it up last night. Saw this thread and thought i'd throw it up on the off chance it might be of use....
That's the diagram that came with some carb rebuild kits for the DMTRA/DATRA and I haven't seen one in a while. So yes, it is useful and if you're feeling virtuous and energetic... could you upload that and link it from our wiki?

That's the diagram that came with some carb rebuild kits for the DMTRA/DATRA and I haven't seen one in a while. So yes, it is useful and if you're feeling virtuous and energetic... could you upload that and link it from our wiki?
Can do! Will do a scan rather than phone snap and get it uploaded in the next day or so.

Back