Weeked wrenching part 1...

budgetzagato

Administrator
Tackled a couple of projects on my Budget Scorpion today.

Project one was a replacement coolant expansion tank. The stock tank was leaking from the return nipple and waistline seams, and pretty chalky looking. As I may have previously mentioned, perhaps on Mirafiori and Lancisti, when I had my '81 Lancia ß Zagato I found a Volvo 750 tank fits well and has similar sized inlets and outlets. It's slightly smaller than a stock Scorpion tank but that was never an issue with my Zagato, so... If you source one of these, be sure to use the black cap rated at 75 kPa/11psi vs. the green cap rated at 140kPa/20psi for obvious reasons. I sourced one from my local pick'n'pull and also the bracket for $5. I used new hoses as well:

Project two was mirrors; the mirrors that came on the car were neither original or in good shape as they were missing the rubber bellows. I found some basic black "flag" mirrors at NAPA for about $12 each. Part #730-2688. They make the bracket slotted so they can replace mirrors with screws up to 3-3/4" apart. I like the basic flag style, and the are slightly taller than the previous mirrors.

Before:

After:

Also replaced the mechanical points-style voltage regulator with an electronic one from Auto Ricambi. It's a Russian part, AR part number EL4-022 for $21.90. The stock VR charged at 13.2v at idle, and 14.8v at cruise. The new VR charges at 14.1v at idle and 14.1v at cruise. Hopefully this will make things work better with stop-and-go driving. The only trick is the wire terminals are swapped left to right.

Lots of nice digestible little steps. (well they look like little steps but like all things they take time and in this case considerable planning)

I agree the flag mirrors are appropriate for the shape of the car. I don't mind the rubber boot on the X but I have always disliked the ones on the baby turbo and other Vitaloni mirrors.

Karl

Thanks...

In my case the mirrors were fine, but their bellows were gone (rats? or sun?) exposing the mounting hardware as well as the ball/socket pivot. Just bugged me as it looked unfinished. There is another similarly-priced mirror NAPA carries that has more a little more curve, just thought the angular model was a better fit.

There is no "Part 2"

Today was driving, tree trimming, roof, and gutter cleaning. Did you know goats love tree branches? :nod:

Back