Weekend wrenching: stereo!

budgetzagato

Administrator
This weekend I finally tackled the lack of stereo in my Scorpion. The car came with a Blaupunkt deck that was inoperational. I salvaged the Pioneer CD deck from my Bertone before I sold it (the new owner was not interested in it) and put it in this car. I ran new (+) and (-) wires from the battery and it fit fine in the stock hole.

Wiring up the P.O.'s Infinity component speakers was a challenge. I couldn't find any markings on the wires to identify the polarity of the wires. Eventually I gave up and ran fresh 12g speaker wire. Good thing I did, the terminals on one of the passive crossovers was corroded and needed cleaning up. After installing the new wires I "test drove" and am pleased.

In my Bertone I had a spare tire subwoofer and amp and haven't found a good location for them in this car. I'm open to suggestions. I may end up selling the spare tire sub and get a component sub to install somewhere else.

I also located the cause of the new annoying rattle in the steering column, I had loosened a pinch bolt in anticipation of removing the column, but opted for just dropping the column and setting it to one side to work on the pedal cluster. I guess I forgot to tighten it up upon reassembly.

I'm really enjoying driving it now, getting close to the "everything works" stage that I strive for.

Back