Weight REDUCTION Discussion

eflexter

Eddie Flexter
I've heard lots about racing mods, but my goal has always been efficiency day-to-day (I'm up to consistent 40mpg).

I'd like to hear about some of the things done to save weight. I know the X is one of the few cars that was actually crash-worthy. But I'm sure this added weight.

Anyway: what do you do to chop off weight? :jedi:

I"m bored at work today, can ya tell??? haha

remove the spare tire

Remove all the undercoating (car will be louder)

Remove all the insulation and crap from the trunk area (lose the rear trunk)

Replace the stock seats with race seats ($)

Remove the emissions equipment (always good if you can)

Replace the stock heavy exhaust / header with a lighter one, remove the cat

buy lighter wheels and tires

let it rust (Like MIne)

if not rusted, have it acid dipped (strip everything off)....weakens structure.

replace side and rear windows with Lexan

----- now... you can see from all this stuff here, it basically all has a direct impact on your comfort or your wallet :) .... decisions decisions

How do you average 40mpg??

I'm lucky if I get 20 around town, 30 hwy (*75/80 in 5th), whether I run the AC or not. Mind you, I do tend to wind it out in every gear :grin:

I removed the heavy bumpers, that's about all I'm willing to sacrifice.

Not average

It's 40mpg on the highway only. I'm focused on efficiency and reliability. The stock cam is good for economy, but I shaved the head 50 thou, which makes the engine burn current low octane efficiently and bumps up torque. Knocked out the converter guts. Then I riched the mixture (my car has stock injection) until the plugs were the right color.

I run cheap tall narrow tires over-inflated some. The rest is driving style. I only rev to about 4500 between shifts and stay in the torque range. Flooring the accelerator is actually the most efficient setting, so keeping the engine "engaged" in the torque range gives you the best mileage.

Back