weird valve clearance adjustmet method

Alfa have 33mm not 37mm . Steel of OE follower is hard to hardened +50HRC( must be 60HRC+) and deformations will be result, OE is soft on top and on photos you can look ring where is corner where come shims only corners is hardened where shims come and than is grind .... I look all options and cheapest is to buy big q-ty to have fair price and I make that . Del West gave mi offer of 103 $ to 138$ depend of material , other USA firm gave mi price of 58$ ....(than $ =euro) and I find Italian factory to make for me followers for good price /q-ty and I have some for sale .
I have cam box -new for 33m- some experiment of fiat /zastava for use hydro followers on engine1,4 tipo

Last edited:
O.E. fiat SOHC 37mm followers is forged from W.NR. 1.7016 or AISI 5117,4615 steel...
I tested 2 piece OE grind on top than hardened whit plazma nitriding for lose deformations but
hardening of 45 HRC + - and 2 other whit carbonnitriding same result .. OE steel is not
good for nitriding ... for other methods deformations is big and is cheaper make new
from other steel ..... from firm what make followers before

Last edited:
And the winner is...

Apple motors sells something like this. Here's a link:

http://www.applemotors.com/racept.htm#titanium

*** You found it! If you own it I would suggest checking your wear.
(To quote an old TV show, "Danger Will Robinson, danger")

And to answer TonyK & Bernice, the wear on the steel (not titanium) lifer is because of improper hardening, the wear on the adjustment puck, besides improper hardening, is the outside diameter is much smaller than the spot it resides in the titanium retainer, so it floats all around. There appears to be lots of oil everywhere so I don't feel that is an issue.

The car will be used for San Francisco area autocrosses & track days, so you might see it around. I feel this valve adjustment method is overkill for the client's intended use (as Bernice suggests), but converting back to stock Fiat would consist of starting over with the big valve head. Because of finances, it has been decided that the least expensive repair solution is to give the original shop another chance to get the hardness & specifications right.

Chris Obert ********

Back