welded the speedo cable

verdebiancorosso

Daily Driver
I fixed the disposable two piece speedo cable table with a precision clamp and a quick weld. The trick is a good clamp. You don't want to tweak it. I can't believe anyone would design a cable linkage that would promptly shear when you remove the cluster .

Congrats... I tried solder once...

... and cooked the cable!

I tink you must be the first with a successful repair!

Good repair.
If you fixed it and it works and it's safe and it's cheap or free and quick.
It's good.
REAL good.:woot:

It don't take much understanding, bud.........!!

...... I will never understand why proper repairs are so offensive to this forum.

.........this Forum has many, MANY intelligent, clever, and entrepreneurial X enthusiasts within its membership that are MORE than capable of performing a successful and PROPER repair on their cars!!
They don't ALL have to go running down to their local Fiat parts outfit to buy new parts to keep the car performing satisfactorily!
It's called "satisfaction about doin' the job YOURSELF!!"

cheers, Ian - NZ

Welder - Man's best friend

I found a Nos 78 cable ... I hope this length will work on the 1979 . Nope , no jitters with the welded one . But it's soon getting removed for this new one I hope.

Yes My local Fiat Dealer is very nice

Exactly - I've had success with many home made parts. Most people don't try it , because they don't have to.

nos 1978 Cable

I don't know Fiats well. But if the cable is slightly long , I'm pretty sure it could be pulled back a little without creating a bind. I had know intention of leaving the welded cable. I wanted the original , The car is almost all original.

Back