Well It's Time To move On....

Jeremy128

True Classic
I am getting out of the Fiat game. I'm not happy about it, but it is necessary. I just posted the 128 in FS&w. As some know I moved to rural area. My house is on the side of a pretty steep, heavily wooded hill. To get to my house you must go down some twisty (but fun) roads. Then go up a gravel road about 1/4 mile (narrow and twisty). The I have to go up a VERY steep and long driveway.
ANY bad weather, and I'm screwed. Not only would I not be able to drive the Fiat, but my wife could not get her minivan up or down the driveay.
I have only driven the Fiat a couple times since moving. My daily driver is a Nissan 4wd truck. This is fine for me. It is paid off so if I crash it, I'll peice it back together. My wifes van is only a year old. So, bad weather hits, we will have 2 kids in differnet schools. Closest school is about 20 miles from home. Second school is about twice that. With a deaf daugheter in first grade, and a deaf son in preschool, SSD puts them in different (yet great) school districts. Then there is my wife and I. If the wether gets bad, due to my profession, I HAVE to be at work, on time or early. My wife has a 40 minute drive from home. With all that said, we HAVE to have 2 4wd vehicles. So, the FIats gotta go.
After thinking long and hard, I came up with the idea of getting an old Land Rover. Then after researching parts, availabilty and cost, I decided against that. So I went back to thinking. I came up with, what I think, will be a pretty cool substitute for the 128. While it's not the same, it is still cool. I want to get my hands on an old Chevy K5 Blazer. Not a civilian one, but an Army Blazer. These come with a 6.2 Diesel, 4wd. My plan is to pick one up, go over it and fix any issues. Then just fix it up. I am gonna keep the Army cammo paint job. The only thing i will change about the paint is the bumper number. I am gonna put my old unit name, and the same number as the vehicle I drove while in the service.
This way I will have a very capable 4wd vehilce that I can put through hell and back.....twice. When not needed for snow/ice covered roads, I can throw the kids in it. take off the roof and go play in the mud.
My wife says I'm turning into a redneck. SHe said I need to get a "GitRDone" sticker for the back window of the Blazer. She may be right, but what's wrong with that? Hell, I spent my day off today cutting up trees on the hill side with a chainsaw then splitting the wood by hand with an 8lb wood maul. So yes, my neck is red, and I'm sore as hell. So what????

I've found in life that men do things for TWO reasons...

1. A GOOD reason, and...

2. The REAL reason.

It would appear yur tryin' ta justify one or the other... but hey...

The other thing I learned was that ain't nobody happy unless Momma's happy.

Take care Jeremy... we'll be here... drop in from time to time and may God bless those youngin's!

Thanks! I'm not gone yet...... Even after the Fiat leaves teh garage, I'll still stop by. This is a great site populated with great people. I don't goaway that easy. Just ask my wife! At one point, long before getting married she found this out. Several happy years, 2 kids, and 4 houses later, she and I are glad that I didn't go away (even when asked to).

The Army used to call them "Commercial Utility Cargo Vehicles" abbreviated as CUCV.

Just watch out for electrical issues, as one of the few factory mods made to them to mesh with NATO standards was to graft some 24volt circuits into the conventional 12volt electrical system. IIRC the "slave receptacle" (NATO-universal electrical port that accepts a universal jump-start [aka "slave"-start] cable), the military-specific lighting, and the radio power circuits were the only 24volt stuff, but I could have forgotten something else.

Just go for the Hummer

DRMO should be kicking out quite a few warn out ones soon! LOL

My wife wouldn't be upset if I gave up the Fiats too, but as long as you still have SOMETHING to work on, you won't take up bird watching. Idle hands are the Devils playground! LOL

Good luck.

PVS4's (off subject)

Night vision scope in the Army is called a PVS4. When I was a E-1 (Private) and first signed one out of the arms room, the armorer's hand writing wasn't the best and I thought I was being issued a substitute for a wife. (the 4 looked like a "Y") They always said "If the Army wanted you to be married, they would have issued you a wife!" It was the 90's and a "kinder, gentler nation" so anything was possible back then. (aka "stress cards") LOL Just needed to share that story. "We now return you to your thread, already in progress."

The 24v system on the CUCV is seperate. The truck has 2 seperate charging systems. a 12v system with own alternator, and a 24v system with a seperate alt. Each system has its own battery. It looks like the 24v system actualyl has 2 batteries. While it would be great to keep the 24v system operational, I cannot think of why I should. A common mod is to disconnect the 24v alternator, but keep system in place. What better way to carry around a spare alternator, and spare battery!

Back