Well this explains my funky handling

tdskip

True Classic
Look at how the profile of the tire on the right looks and how it peaks and then angles in. Yikes.

Tony - this is what was responsible for the scary handling that I thought was the strut tops. When it was mounted you couldn't see the deformation.

Wow!

What does the inside look like? Steel belts must have broke.... lucky it did not shred when u were driving....

Hi Jim. Oddly the tire looks totally normal otherwise and it wasn't visible as mounted on the car. Weird, and yes, I lucked out that I caught before really motoring.

Tom.... I had this happen on a Toyota SR5 I had once...

The tires had over 40K on them in 1977 or so (which was A LOT back then) and the radials tore themselves apart INSIDE from the steel belts. Mine happened quickly...

Its time for you to REPLACE all 4 tires Tom... The least expensive and so fat the BEST bang for the buck with quality and wear to be determined are tires from Tires-easy.com.

I suggest 186/60s all around but I like the rake of 175/60s up front with NO clearance issues and 195 or 205/60s in the rear.

http://www.tires-easy.com/tires-search/175-60-13?filtering=,price
http://www.tires-easy.com/tires-search/185-60-13?filtering=,price
http://www.tires-easy.com/tires-search/205-60-13?filtering=,price

No 195/60's on this site and the 205/60s are costly. A good combo for the street would be the 175's and 185'sx with NO visible difference except for the lack of tires rubbing up front. Next would be 185s all around... and fixing any rubbing issue.

Glad it was a rather SIMPLE fix... and not too costly as your tires were obviously too damn old to start with!

Looking forward to seeing you on the road soon.

Look closely Myron... there is a GOODYEAR tire...

lying on the ground. It is possibly the third of four.

Also note the tread-wear pattern on the tire on the left, as compared to the distorted tire on the right. The tire on the left is worn evenly, flat and "square" and therefore was most likely mounted on the rear. These tires were never rotated front to rear and I bet they have an aspect ratio of 70 or 80. Probably 165/70s, or 175/70s or ?

As Andrew is asking here as well, what is the manufacturing date and I know they were on the car 3 years ago, look to have 2 or 3 years wear on the rear from "normal" driving. I betcha they are 8 - 10 years old.

No matter, they need to be tossed and time NOT wasted on pursuing this subject any further... (Not us, but Tom...) He needs to be driving this car after all the hoops he's gone through to get it this far!

Hi Tony - yes, I have already replaced the tires on different rims. Need some help on bolt sizing for those, will open a new thread on that.

Thanks!

Also note the tread-wear pattern on the tire on the left, as compared to the distorted tire on the right. The tire on the left is worn evenly, flat and "square" and therefore was most likely mounted on the rear. These tires were never rotated front to rear and I bet they have an aspect ratio of 70 or 80. Probably 165/70s, or 175/70s or

They are Goodyear 175/70/13. And it was on the rear, and under cornering load when the tire was pushed for grip it would suddenly roll over to the outside producing nasty handling.

As Andrew is asking here as well, what is the manufacturing date and I know they were on the car 3 years ago, look to have 2 or 3 years wear on the rear from "normal" driving. I betcha they are 8 - 10 years old.

Not sure, my best guess is back to early 2000's. I couldn't find a modern date code on them.

No matter, they need to be tossed and time NOT wasted on pursuing this subject any further... (Not us, but Tom...) He needs to be driving this car after all the hoops he's gone through to get it this far!

Amen to that!

Hi Tony,

Yes, I did see that but wanted to make sure. The thread can be summed up quicker if it read "my Nankang/Joyroad/Salun/Road Emperor/etc. tire I bought for $16 failed!" LOL!!!

The date question is quite valid as well... either way, that's quite the failure!!

"Those four small patches of rubber on the road is the only things between you and St. Peter."

Mark Donahue.

Holy cow - check this out:

I didn't do anything with these except since the pictures above leave them in the sun (not on car obviously).

Same thing happened to the 2001 spare on wife's CR-V

The same thing happened to the 2001 vintage spare on wife's 2001 CR-V. She ran over something and put a big hole in one of her tires. The shop said it would be a big patch, but they would give it a go. It thumped noticeably when we got it back, but it held air. So I put on the original spare till we could make an appointment for new tires.

About 2 weeks later she complained that the spare was now making noise. I went out and found a large swollen spot in the side wall. I put the thumping repaired tire back on and "finally" made an appointment for new tires. I threw the swollen spare in the hatch and forgot about it. Next time I looked it had basically fallen apart like yours. Old tires are freaky. ;)

Back