What’s the story here?

There usually is more to the story. However I have to say, he was asking $1000 for some boxes of parts and a unknown stripped chassis. That might have been a bit optimistic for most potential buyers? I've seen complete, good running 850 coups sell for well under that. But I'm not a 850 guy so maybe I'm off about it.

Not sure what the spite was about, but his previous listing for this car that I saw a while back had only 4-5 photos of the body shell & a laughable $2500 price tag.

$1000 for a straight body shell like that is (was?) at least a little more reasonable.

The man has anger issues and social media allows you to vent your anger on an easily available public forum. I'm guessing Craigslist does not review posts for acceptable content. By the way, I would be more impressed with that ad if it included a picture of the poor car in the jaws of a crane at the crusher.

As far as sellers sending viable Fiats to the crusher, the nice guy I bought my 75 spider from has another 75 spider for sale. It's a project for sure but the body looks good. Been on Craigslist for ever with the price dropping on every post. He is now down to $650 and called me to say he would take $550 but if no takers it goes to the crusher since he needs it gone...even though he hates to see it destroyed. As much as I hate to see it go I just have no interest in it and apparently no one else does, a real shame.

I would be more impressed with that ad if it included a picture of the poor car in the jaws of a crane at the crusher.
Agreed. I'll bet he did not crush it, but just wanted to vent his frustration over the rest of the world not seeing his value in the car.

another 75 spider for sale
Might be a good parts car. You know, for when your other Spider gets wrecked (just say'n you've developed a reputation). Joking aside, throw it in the super secret storage area until the time comes you need to swap out parts from it. At $500 it should be worth a full set of spares.

I’ve heard people trashing various car enthusiasts “communities” based on buying something like that (a car/parts/both) with the intent to flip but then finding out that they had grossly miscalculated the market.

This reminds me of a few years ago when I was parting out a 1986 BMW 535. First I had tried to sell it as a nice, complete car with a dying transmission but that came with a good transmission (one that was actually an upgrade). I couldn’t sell it stupidly cheap as an honestly marketed project car (maybe 1400 bucks?...). So that was interesting. Finally I decided to part it out via eBay & an e28 enthusiast forum. What I found was that with that car the high demand parts were very different from what I’ve run into with these cars. Anyway, the point is that the market for niche parts for those was vastly different, so I had to learn. Parts I thought would sell right away eventually got crushed with the body & parts I expected to crush were sold immediately. So I learned & the funny thing was all things considered I stopped counting what it sold for (in parts) about $4500. Of note, I had a slight advantage having another e28 535 and an interest in the cars...

I think another fairly common scenario is someone starts a major restoration project build. Gets half way through a few years later and realizes he can't manage it. Becomes frustrated with HIMSELF, but takes it out on everyone else. I'll bet lots of married folks can relate to that type of behavior? :rolleyes:

I think another fairly common scenario is someone starts a major restoration project build. Gets half way through a few years later and realizes he can't manage it. Becomes frustrated with HIMSELF, but takes it out on everyone else. I'll bet lots of married folks can relate to that type of behavior? :rolleyes:
This is a great point and doubly so when a significant amount of blood, sweat, tears and money have been spent already. It’s also a healthy reminder that these “toy” cars should compliment our lives, not add further stress. After all, we do this for enjoyment (most of us anyway, some are a little masochistic.. myself included, at times! :)). Don’t put yourself into financial or emotional distress over these cars, is what I’m saying.

Last edited:
This is a great point and doubly so when a significant amount of blood, sweat, tears and money have been spent already. It’s also a healthy reminder that these “toy” cars should compliment our lives, not add further stress. After all, we do this for enjoyment (most of us anyway, some are a little masochistic.. myself included, at times! :)). Don’t put yourself into financial or emotional distress over these cars, is what I’m saying.

The "compliment our lives not add further stress" has been strongly demonstrated to me over FCA over the last month and a half, ugh. These cars and clubs are about having fun not adding stress...

Walls 90% framed, floor to be poured early this week & yeah the plethora of small decisions to be made as it goes & the inherent large impact of some of them is stressful, so it’s a challenge to stay sane. I say “stressful” but it’s all what I would call luxury problem & I guess that’s the point. Hard to get to indignantly angry (enough to post some crazy stuff on Craigslist) when I’m frustrated that a really cool thing I am able to do isn’t going perfectly. I mean, it’s not like I had to protect my family from some sort of paramilitary warlords and I have no idea what we are going to eat...so yeah, dude pissed off about your boxed up Fiat, get the f over yourself.

Or something like that.

I have a thread with photos of the construction on mirafiori.

Too many mice crammed in too small a space, lots of us going nuts. Wait till the guy finds out how much money he will get from the crusher folks, he might be able to buy a nice lunch with the money.

I've heard in some areas you have to actually pay them to crush or scrap a car. Otherwise I've seen $50 as a typical rate to buy it from you if they have to come pick it up. I think I'd make it a nice piece of yard art before I resorted to that. Or just get over myself and sell it to someone that really wants it all for a reasonable price. But people do funny things despite themselves.

I gave my opinion and hit the "prohibited" button, this is not a sales ad anymore.

Back