What can be removed?

Eastep

True Classic
Today I decided to tear into the carb and while I'm feeling motivated I decided to remove the carb fan and a couple small unused brackets. I was wondering what else I can remove? Can I remove the coffe can looking thing? If so do I simply cap off the nipples on the carb where the lines ran? I have added a few pics of the engine as it sits. If there's something that can be removed please feel free to chime in or (more preferably) circle the part in the picture to be removed. Thanks everyone :italia:

DSC02323.jpg

DSC02324.jpg

DSC02325.jpg

DSC02326.jpg

DSC02328.jpg

DSC02330.jpg

!

Does your car need to pass an emissions inspection? This influences the mods that can be done. Hopefully you don't! Then we can tell you what to do "hypothetically" of course.

no it doesn't. I'm replacing all the fuel lines as we speak, and I'm at the hose going from the bottom of the coffee can to a white cylinder thing under the vent (where the gas cap is) Do I need anything/line associated with that can? Please respond fast as I'm on hold until I get replies. I wanna remove ALL smog stuff that isn't essential to the cars operation. If needs be feel free to call me as Ill be in the garage

252-649-8717 mike

have to make it quick

I just had the same questions. Search for "Mystery Switch" and you will many opinions on that topic.
Have fun.

Coffee can...

Is the charcoal canister. It captures fumes from the gas tank, and stores them until the engine is run and they are drawn into the carb. In my opinion, it's a pretty good thing to keep intact, there is no performance gain in removing it. Some folks would remove it for weight savings. You could use the toilet and gain more weight savings than removing this system.

If you do remove it, you'll have to come up with an alternative fuel tank vent component for this, or simply leave it off and deal with the fumes.

The thing the big hose to the canister comes from is a special valve that modulates the fumes, so that the fuel tank is not over- or under-pressurized. It also allows air into the tank to replace the fuel that is consumed. The small hoses to it come from the top of the fuel tank.

Keep pulling stuff

-- until it won't run anymore and then put stuff back until it runs again!!

Sorry, Mike -- I couldn't resist.

I see you are planning on an electric fuel pump. Might I suggest a hidden switch as an anti-theft idea. I had one years ago on a Sprite - my best friend tried to use it about the time I was getting married. He made it a block and had to push it home -- and he KNEW it had a switch somewhere. The cool thing is the car will run until the carb runs dry, which puts a potential thief out in traffic.

-- I'm watching your build with interest. Especially since your X looks so much like mine.

-- and of course the name.

Cheers,
-- Mike

well I finally got all the frayed/deteriorated nylon hoses replaced with new rubber hoses. I also removed all the traditional style hose clamps and replaced them with FI hose clamps. I decided to ditch the charcoal canister seeing as it was already unhooked (more or less) and the valve that the large hose that was mentioned to go into was no where to be found, plus the only part of the system hooked up was the small hose to the carb so I figured it would be okay to loose this thing. As I'm still more then a little unsure how to convert my mechanical fuel pump to an electric unit, I decided to keep the small petcock valve in place (ran to the fuel pump) as well as the other smaller petcock that ran to the charcoal can and hooked it up to the carb (was hooked to charcoal can). Everything runs still so I guess its a success :headbang: Pics up tomorrow

Last edited:
Fuel line caution

Mike, like you I have a '78 ; a few years back I replaced the fuel lines and upgraded the clamps to the FI version. This created a nice tight fuel system to the point that the nipple on the 32 DATRA that returns fuel to the tank blew out of the carb and started a fire. The lads on this site (Tony being one) got after me for not having epoxied my nipples :eek: or at least those on the carb. Check those nipples!
David

You may want to put some stuff back --

I know I said to just keep removing stuff until it won't run, but I think there in picture number 5 you might have removed too much stuff.
-- but I wanted to touch base with you & see if it had any effect on your performance?

(Part circled for reference as requested:
carb_open.jpg

why yes as a matter of fact it has. My car wont run now :( copious amounts of fuel are being run through the carb and flooding the engine. I had a couple friends stop by to help me (thanks Eric) and try to sort out the issue. We believe the floats somehow got outta whack and wouldn't trip the needle (too low) to shut the fuel off. after reassembly the problem continued so we took everything apart again and thought we fixed it, but now the floats were too high. yet again we disassembled everything but by now there was so much fuel in the oil we decided not to attempt to fire the engine until after I change the oil tomorrow. If that doesn't work I'll need a rebuild kit (unless someone here has a needle and seat I can get) and try yet again. :wall::wall:

PS it did fire up, but the gallon of fuel being sprayed everywhere forced me to shut it down

I agree with leaving the charcoal canister... sure you don't have to be a good citizen, but evaporating fumes out of a tank or carb while the car sits are major forms of pollution. A properly tuned car doesn't dump many raw hydrocarbons into the atmosphere compared to plain old evaporating gas. It stinks too... I think Car and Driver said when the Honda Insight came out that in 100,000 miles it put out the same or maybe less unburned hydrocarbons than pouring a cup of gasoline on the ground and letting it evaporate! Everytime your carb'd car sits a few tea or tablespoons of gas evaporates out of the bowl...

If you don't like the look of the big 'coffee can' you can probably find a small black plastic one off a newer car at a pic-a-part type place.

There... thats enough all the tree hugger I can throw down for one day!

its already been reinstalled with new lines. I only did it because it was part of the vacume system on the carb and until I can find/fix the current issues I'm having, it will say on. After that It'll probably be trashed seeing it is how the large hose on the bottom isn't hooked to anything and its still just emptying into the air. Plus my car had its cat removed at some point so :brow:

Back