What did you do to your X1/9 today ?

IMG_4198.jpg
IMG_4200.jpg
New Fuel feed. Gone thru two head gaskets lately. Fix the easy stuff first, right? So, new pump, and a huge Fram reservoir (holds a couple cups). Just a new pump alone made a huge response difference. Now at least i'm not worried about going lean cause of poor fuel delivery.

a huge Fram reservoir
I use the same Fram filter as a pre-filter (between the tank and pump) for fuel injected systems. Kind of acts like a surge tank / pick-up reservoir for the higher volume Bosch (FI) electric pumps. Plus keeps crud out of the pump. Works great.

I use the same Fram filter as a pre-filter (between the tank and pump) for fuel injected systems. Kind of acts like a surge tank / pick-up reservoir for the higher volume Bosch (FI) electric pumps. Plus keeps crud out of the pump. Works great.
So yeah, thought about putting it on the "suck side". Elected to go with a small high-flow, see-thru filter in line tween the tank and pump. Drove her today. Stupid fast response, was very pleased. Also, since I had the head off, I swapped in a new t-stat, with the "hole drilled" trick. Was very happy with the vehicle temps while driving hard and getting stuck at a light for a few minutes. Hoping I am back to the super reliable car I have enjoyed for so long. Did a bit of mud driving today too.
IMG_4203.jpg

Elected to go with a small high-flow, see-thru filter in line in front of the pump.
That will be fine for the regular type electric pump you have. FI pumps benefit from a little larger pre-filter to help them get a good inlet supply.

I swapped in a new t-stat, with the "hole drilled" trick.
I've wondered if that hole trick would help with bleeding the air out of the cooling system. Several people have difficulty getting it burped. Having a little passage may help?

Looks great. You might have stated this before, but looks like a rollbar behind the rear window? Have more pics of that?
The roll bar was to meet competition regs, but the only off the shelf one I know of (OMP) intrudes into the passenger compartment to the extent that a crash helmet would be mandatory to cope with hitting your head on it over every bump. This design means it can be driven on the roads without race wear. Ideally I'd drop the seat pan a couple of inches to get my six foot hieght far enough the roll bar. You can keep the standard fuel tank as well. The rear window was a case of lots of trials and plenty of errors. If I did it again I'd get the rear stays in line more with the angle of the b post to hide it more

Attachments

• IMG_20190305_164616.jpg
    IMG_20190305_164616.jpg
    192.4 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_20190305_164431.jpg
    IMG_20190305_164431.jpg
    168.9 KB · Views: 110
6'2"-250# ;)
Removed steering wheel, much better.

And even the seat!

And tell somebody to come check after you at a certain time in case your head would bestuck under the dash with your feet in the air! It could be really difficult sometimes to move out from under there, especially if you reached the age of wisdom, but not wisdom enough to avoid doing things you should'nt...:rolleyes:

The roll bar was to meet competition regs, but the only off the shelf one I know of (OMP) intrudes into the passenger compartment
I've also seen ones that extend up past the top to give more headroom. But then you can't use the top at all.

When I first saw the partial view of yours I was thinking the entire roll-bar was behind the rear window. Was that a possibility, or would it not meet the rules?

That will be fine for the regular type electric pump you have. FI pumps benefit from a little larger pre-filter to help them get a good inlet supply.

I've wondered if that hole trick would help with bleeding the air out of the cooling system. Several people have difficulty getting it burped. Having a little passage may help?

I do a "burp" sequence every now and then. However, hot air trapped below the Tstat is now a non issue with the hole(s) drilled. Suddenly, my radiator is warming up faster and my fan is working exactly when it should. The flow from the tstat is not delayed (crawling up to 3/4 guage reading before the fan knows to activate).. And, bonus, did a bit of local rally driving while testing. Very pleased.

It is great to see another X1/9 in Oregon. Not that far away from Eugene. Got 5 different x1/9 owners here in Eugene (3) of them are at my house.

If you ever travel south toward Eugene make sure you let us know lunch with a parking lot full of x1/9's would be great to see!!

I've also seen ones that extend up past the top to give more headroom. But then you can't use the top at all.

When I first saw the partial view of yours I was thinking the entire roll-bar was behind the rear window. Was that a possibility, or would it not meet the rules?
If placed upright behind the window you have as many issues for much the same reasons - angle/shape of rear bulkhead, excessive angle of uprights, bends in uprights to avoid bodywork and find decent lower fixing points, and actually project beyond your head/helmet to do it's primary purpose

Not exactly what I did to my X, but for its future powerplant:
Freshened up the K20Z3 with a new timing chain, tensioner, and guides.
20190313_120208.jpg

Swapped in K20A2 oil pump, windage tray and pan,
and added this nifty oil pan baffle from Blox Racing.
20190313_120845.jpg

20190313_120837.jpg
This was a much less expensive option than others that weld in the pan, and it seems to be a pretty good piece for the money.
Also added this additional timing chain guide that wraps around the crank sprocket and should keep the chain from climbing off the sprocket at high rpm or if the tensioner fails.
20190313_120212.jpg
Now to get it all buttoned back up and cleaned and painted, then I can try test fitting in the car.

Back