What did you do to your X1/9 today ?

They are not really needed
Ya I never quite understood why they even went that route. As you say resistor plugs or wires have been the norm for many decades.

Another interesting design of rotor is one that acts as a rev limiter. There is a switch in it that disconnects the spark from crossing when the unit reaches a pre-set RPM. Then as it slows down the switch is reset and back to spark. It's primitive but it works. Although now so many ignitions have the feature built in that it's not used anymore. Fits standard Bosch dizzys so could be added to the X.

Whoohoo, located a new cap at a local motor parts outlet, in fact they had two of the original brown caps in stock. Been sat on the shelf for years apparently, the price was right so I bought both. However, I’m getting the impression the car doesn’t want a trip out at the week end, filled up at the local gas station and wondered why there was a growing pool of petrol forming under the car. Turns out the rubber filler neck hose is disintegrating and leaking. I should get away with it until a new one arrives.

Sprayed several coats of Engine Clear (up to 500 degrees) on a pair of 38mm rear calipers as one of the final rebuild steps. Had to heli-coil the brake line ports, replace both pistons, one of the adjusting screws, and of course all the rubber goods.
20190502_132004.jpg

Just received our custom "Jeff Van Dyke" instrument clusters for our 79 & 81. The one for the 79 is the top one (with our own custom graphic) and the lower unit is for the 81 (with the silhouette and signature) . He did an awesome job with matching needles, and quick turnaround, too. We did an LED conversion on the 79 unit and with the white faces it is so much easier to read, especially in the dark, that we will do the same for the 81. Thanks Jeff for your creativity & skill!
InstrumentClusters.jpg

Just received our custom "Jeff Van Dyke" instrument clusters for our 79 & 81. The one for the 79 is the top one (with our own custom graphic) and the lower unit is for the 81 (with the silhouette and signature) . He did an awesome job with matching needles, and quick turnaround, too. We did an LED conversion on the 79 unit and with the white faces it is so much easier to read, especially in the dark, that we will do the same for the 81. Thanks Jeff for your creativity & skill!
View attachment 21776

So what does the icon taking the place of the EG Sensor symbol above the water temp mean?

Manual cooling fan switch indicator?

They look great, Jeff did a great job.

Just received our custom "Jeff Van Dyke" instrument clusters for our 79 & 81. The one for the 79 is the top one (with our own custom graphic) and the lower unit is for the 81 (with the silhouette and signature) .
View attachment 21776

I was Under the impression 1979 tachs were moving clockwise. Maybe the change to counterclockwise appears mid-year.

My '79 tach is counter-clockwise. Manufactured in September. Likely late on a Friday afternoon judging by things.

So what does the icon taking the place of the EG Sensor symbol above the water temp mean?

Manual cooling fan switch indicator?

They look great, Jeff did a great job.

Yes, sort of....
The fan logo spot is to indicate whether a second radiator fan is running. It is intended to come on with the "second stage" of a 2 temp switch in the radiator. It can also be turned on manually. Being a 79, it didn't have the EG logo and even though it is getting an 82 fuel injected engine, we chose not to use it for the EG sensor. It might confuse the emissions testing folks anyway. We actually have some extra fan logo stickers as we had to make a bunch to meet the minimum charge.
Yes, Jeff did a great job. I figured that I would break a needle or get a gauge face on crooked, or something else. Patience and attention to details.

I was Under the impression 1979 tachs were moving clockwise. Maybe the change to counterclockwise appears mid-year.

Like Dr. Jeff, ours was built in September of 79. Never thought about it before, but We're happy with the CCW action.

We actually have some extra fan logo stickers as we had to make a bunch to meet the minimum charge.
I curious what process was used to make the display logo?

I like the indicator for second fan running thing. I also have a 2-speed switch for two fans that I'll be using (if I ever get that far). The indicator tells you things are getting hotter so you can start monitoring your temp gauge.

We selected a fan symbol from a number of symbols on the internet and created a Photoshop file on the computer, which we took to a local company that prints stickers & labels and had them print a bunch on clear material. They have a $40 minimum, so you have to print enough to make it worthwhile. We had them do some other labels, like the ones in the door jamb, along with the fan stickers. We just stuck it on the red lens in the cluster and put a piece of Scotch Magic tape over the sticker to give it a matte finish.
That is it in a nut shell. We replaced all but the "alternator" light with LEDs, so it shouldn't get hot enough to create a problem.

took to a local company that prints stickers & labels
I've had some customs stickers made at a couple different local shops. They did not require a minimum, but they were very particular about what they would (or more importantly, would not) do. For example when I asked for something smaller than about 5/8" they would not. Or something with multiple colors on the same image; they would only do two colors from two stickers that could be overlaid (like a colored border around a solid shape), so not really in the same image. Anything too detailed they won't do. Etc, etc. After a lot of explaining they still did not understand the concept of a negative image, to be used as a stencil. Finally I had to have them make the full sticker but not remove any of the excess vinyl. Then I could remove the main image, leaving the negative surround. That was frustrating.

Back