What is the maximum thickness for rear brake pads?

Glad it worked out well. I saw your other post about driving it. I think the new pads just needed to bed in, which is what you saw in the braking improvement after driving awhile.

Now that you have the issue resolved, I'll go a bit off topic. Brake pad materials have always been an interesting topic. Lots to choose from and lots of mixed (and contradictory) information out there, plus many opinions. The manufacturers seem to be very vague about what they are made of, if they tell anything at all. Metallic, semi-metallic, ceramic, organic, OEM, composite, carbon, and many more. It makes sense to have different materials for different applications/uses, but I wish there was more uniformity to the way they are described so the consumer can have a better idea to compare and choose from. For that matter, I wish all makers were required to state the composition of the product; so many don't even bother to say anything.
The popular thing these days in the brake pad sales literature is to tell you what is not in them in bold letters: No asbestos, no copper. The asbestos thing has been around for a while but I guess that copper is now considered bad as well, at least for brake pads.

I just had an issue installing EBC green stuff pads on the front. New Centric rotors and the caliper will simply not fit over the pads, even if I removed the shims. The Greenstuff are more than 17mm thick. Unless my rotors are too thick, they are over 10m, but same part # works on the rear Luckily Amazon will take them back. Reodered the same part #, as it was the correct listing and a set of Raybestos Ceramic just in case.
Hope I can get them to fit, have had great performance from EBC on other vehicles

I've never tried EBC products. They were popular for motorcycles long before the automotive market, so I always associated them with lower end stuff (as most bike products tend to be). That isn't necessarily the case, but just how I perceived them when they first hit the car scene. I met the owner of EBC at SEMA a few years ago. He kind of struck me as...well let's say less than stellar. o_O
I have used Raybestos Ceramic pads and really liked them for a regular street driven vehicle. Quiet, clean, good pedal feel, long wearing, no heat fade, does not destroy rotors.

Back