What is this blue/black wire(s)?

carl

True Classic
IMG_3332.jpg

According to the factory wiring manual the heavier blue/black wire coming out of the white connector (goes to ignition switch) goes to the injector fan and the simiased smaller gauge blue/black wire goes to the charging light in the dash. A previous owner cut that wire and put a red crimp connector on it but only crimped at that wire so probably used as a closed end and the other exposed end has a male spade (which was covered in tape). First guess is those two ends were supposed to be connected to each other but why a factory spade terminal?

I'm not really ready to tackle the wiring in this car but this is kind of in my face.

but why a factory spade terminal?
My guess. The end of that harness has been replaced and spliced on. So the factory spade terminal on the mentioned wire was likely the original end of the harness, where the terminal plugged into the original connector housing. Now the wires have been extended (due to the add-on replacement), so the factory terminal appears to be in the middle of the lead.

Also be aware there are two types of blue and black wires; one has a "tracer" color that runs the length of the wire, the other has "tiger stripes" that go across the wire (as on your example)...I don't recall what Fiat calls it. Furthermore some "tracer" ones might have the two colors reversed (e.g. blue/black vs black/blue) depending on which is the dominant color. And Fiat also has two blues, light and dark; this "blue" is the 'light blue' ("L. Blue on schematics). No wonder it gets confusing at times. :rolleyes:

I have basically the same question. My '83 Bertone has the same light blue/black band wires with a male and female spade. They were disconnected when I got the car. There's also a similar red wire situation, but with insulated connectors. Any insight into function and whether they should be connected appreciated.

I have basically the same question. My '83 Bertone has the same light blue/black band wires with a male and female spade. They were disconnected when I got the car. There's also a similar red wire situation, but with insulated connectors. Any insight into function and whether they should be connected appreciated.
Sorry, do you have pics so we can see your reference.

One blue-black wire that goes to the ignition, which this apparently does, goes to the radiator cooling fan relay.

With cluster removed. The connector on the blue/black wire is just visible by my ring finger.
I suspect given the proximity, the Light Blue/Black and the Red wires you have in your hand go to the heater switch.

Unfortunately on these middle generation cars they use LB/B to carry switched power around the car. I have included a 1981 wiring diagram as it is the closest I have to the 1983 cars and was very similar.

As you can see there are at least 4 of this wire color in this image
IMG_5878 Large.jpeg

Attachments

• X 1981 Wiring Diagram.pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 19
A couple of clearer images. There's also a brown wire in the bundle joined with a crimp connector. The blue/black wires have continuity with each other, as do the red wires.
IMG_5885 Large.jpeg
IMG_5887 Large.jpeg

A couple of clearer images. There's also a brown wire in the bundle joined with a crimp connector. The blue/black wires have continuity with each other, as do the red wires.
View attachment 82861View attachment 82862
Unfortunately I think you will have to do some testing with a trouble light or voltmeter and look at what doesn’t have power going to or from it to parse out what wire goes to what since this particular generation of the wiring loom uses the same color wires for a few different components.

Unfortunately I think you will have to do some testing with a trouble light or voltmeter and look at what doesn’t have power going to or from it to parse out what wire goes to what since this particular generation of the wiring loom uses the same color wires for a few different components.
My first efforts seemed to show they were not permanently live, or ignition live. I decided to isolate them for now,

My first efforts seemed to show they were not permanently live, or ignition live. I decided to isolate them for now,
Perhaps some one has been fiddling a bit more than a little.

I guess my question would be, what isn’t working right now that should be.

Back