1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is this for?

Discussion in 'Workshop Forum' started by MikeHynes, Mar 12, 2018.

1. MikeHynes

MikeHynes True Classic

Goodfield, IL.
    It's a carbed 1500 engine, I think out of a '79 X. It looks like it has provisions to mount a fuel pump to the back of the cam carrier. The cam has a corresponding lobe between the #4 intake and exhaust cam lobes. While I never saw anything mounted there, it looks like something had rubbed on the eccentric lobe at some time. One clue? There was a decal on the valve cove that read: Spider 1500.
    I have another cam carrier that has the same "fuel pump" mounting provision, but the cam does not have a lobe between the #4 valve lobes. The cam does have a slot on the end that would mount a cam driven dist. such as a Strada would have.
    Can anyone tell me what these engines were in?
    20180312_115827.jpg 20180312_115827.jpg 20180312_120351.jpg

Attached Files:

2. Eastep

Eastep Dub-ing

Egr or some other emissions crap
  3. Bobr

Bobr My Toy

That could be a block off plate for a mechanical fuel pump
    Eastep likes this.
  4. MikeHynes

MikeHynes True Classic

Goodfield, IL.
    I don't think it's the EGR - that monstrosity is mounted on the block below. And talk about ALL the emissions crap! What a PITA. I'm sooo glad Fiat went to FI.
    myronx19 likes this.
  5. Rodger

Rodger True Classic

Olympia, WA
    I have a ‘79 X and it does not have that opening in the cam box.
  6. LarryC

LarryC LarryC-Albuquerque

Not emissions control on a North American 79 X 1/9. I have never seen that on any X. Keep searching.
  7. Jefco

Jefco It goes WHICH way?

Volvo B20 engines with Bosch K-jet ran a vacuum pump on the fuel pump mount on the block, to ensure power for the brake servo regardless of manifold vacuum. Were there any 1500-engined cars with a vacuum booster that this might have been done for?
  8. Looks like a Fiat Strada 1500. Here's a photo of a 1979 Strada engine bay, and you can see a fuel pump mounted just to the right of the air cleaner.

Jefco and myronx19 like this.
  9. myronx19

myronx19 True Classic

Toronto, ON Canada
    one way to tell if it came out of an X1/9 would be the thermostat - I think Paul is right, this is a Strada engine, but I didn't realize that they had the same cam box bosses for the dogbone engine mount.

10. Joshua Field

Joshua Field Daily Driver

Denver, CO
    Sure looks like the mechanical fuel pump block off plate I just ordered from VAS:
  11. MikeHynes

MikeHynes True Classic

Goodfield, IL.
    I think Paul must be correct. Someone must have mounted a Strata engine in an X. I thought Stratas had cam driven dist. but I thought the differences in the cam were limited to the slot on the end to drive the dist. When gathering cams for Midwest Bayless I did dig out a cam with that slot, but no fuel pump lobe. The '79 pictured above does not have the cam driven dist. That shows how little I know about Stratas.

Did any Stratas ever come with an automatic trans?

BTW - That engine did have all of the same emissions "stuff" an X had on it too. It's a wonder they ever got them to run at all with all that crap.
    BBTW - The valve cover that had the Spider 1500 decal on it was not a Strata valve cover. Has anyone ever seen such a decal?
  12. Dr.Jeff

Dr.Jeff True Classic

Sin City
    Actually that is the ultra, ultra rare Abarth head with mechanical fuel injection; that is the drive for the injection pump. They only made about 4 or 5 of these heads. Worth a lot of money!
    O/k/, not really. But wouldn't that be nice.
    dllubin and artz1731 like this.
  13. fiatfactory

fiatfactory Steve Cecchele

Western Australia
    Yes, but it had the correct spelling of SPYDER on it....

cylinder head sohc 017.jpg

14. Jeff Stich

Jeff Stich True Classic

Norco, CA
    Yes, Paul is correct, this is a Strada cam box. I have one of these attached to a cylinder head that I pulled from a wrecked Strada 1500 engine a long time ago.
  15. ng_randolph

ng_randolph Bjorn H

SF Bay area
    Yes, the Strada was available with a VW-sourced 3 speed automatic.
  16. MikeHynes

MikeHynes True Classic

Goodfield, IL.
    Really? I think it's time for a new thread.
  17. MikeHynes

MikeHynes True Classic

Goodfield, IL.
    Yes Steve, that's it. And you are correct, I spelled it like a 124 Spider :(
    Here's a (bad) pic of the one I have. It's very difficult to see (and it's upside down).
    P1040359.JPG I also included a pic of the head it's mounted on (may not be the original head - I don't know).
    It looks like a 12mm 10 bolt carb head. Does the casting indicate it was cast in 1978?
    The question is: Why would it have a Spyder 1500 decal on it? Was there a Fiat called the Spyder?
  18. fiatfactory

fiatfactory Steve Cecchele

Western Australia
    X1/9 is a 128 Spyder... hence the chassis designation 128AS

head looks like a november 1978 casting production, so that's a real early 1500 head.

myronx19 likes this.