what is this switch in the engine bay?

Seatbelt interlock overide /?

If I remember right, my 1974 had a setbelt interlock override button. If the system failed you could overide it. I thought this was a US item, so perhaps I am wrong.
Bob

Fast idle check switch... when you press it the engine revs rise as it actuates a vacuum operated assembly on the carb, to check CO levels in the exhaust...

SteveC

Bob is right about the US-spec '74

If I remember right, my 1974 had a setbelt interlock override button. If the system failed you could overide it. I thought this was a US item, so perhaps I am wrong.
Bob

Yep, on the US-spec '74 it's an override, but not for system failure. It disables the interlock so that you can start the car when the hood is open.

Original poster in in Australia with a non-74 should probably go with SteveC's answer instead.

yeah I'm going with Steve's answer, but didn't see his reply when I hit the reply button and scrolled down and saw it, so I then replied in the wrong spot :bla:

Its all good

override

I figured I was wrong on that when I saw the Australia post. Thanks for the follow up though

Bob

Welp... I was all wrong before...

... when I answered JJ about his.

I find it hard to believe any of this stuff... (meaning its all is kinda ridiculous...) but be advised that there are componants in the dash associated with this switch if it is indeed a seatbelt interlock thingie...

Have fun!

Yep

Fast idle check switch... when you press it the engine revs rise as it actuates a vacuum operated assembly on the carb, to check CO levels in the exhaust...

Only on Australian cars as far as I can tell. I think does the same job as the switch in the gearbox which actuates the same vacuum operated assembly on the carb when you change down from 4th.

Cheers,
Dom.

+1

Fast idle speed check button.

Lancia's for the USA market of similar vintage had them too.

Bernice

SteveC

Or re-purpose it

Our own Ulix changed his into a remote start button for easier turning of the engine when doing various repair/maintenance.

Back