What is this?

Stuartc

True Classic
As the title asks, can someone enlighten me on what this is please?

IMG_1084.jpeg

That's where the angry bees you hear behind you are kept. Or; venting for the alternator on A/C equipped cars:

index.php
Is it only A/C equipped cars or all LHD vehicles? Reason asking is my RHD car does not have it.
Is it removable ie bolted in or is it part of the rear bulkhead?
It blows hot air directly into the rear boot???😳

As the title asks, can someone enlighten me on what this is please?

View attachment 79680
On later version of the exxe, that hole with the perforated metal panel inside lines up with the Bosch alternator fan on exxe with the AC option. It is part of the cooling for the Bosch alternator specific to the later AC versions of the exxe. This was done due to the higher current/power demands needed by the AC system and to help keep the operating temperatures of the Bosch alternator reasonable. This is one of the reasons why the alternator position and other belt driven bits on the later version AC exxe are so different.

An example of design/engineering details often never appreciated in the exxe..

Bernice

On later version of the exxe, that hole with the perforated metal panel inside lines up with the Bosch alternator fan on exxe with the AC option. It is part of the cooling for the Bosch alternator specific to the later AC versions of the exxe. This was done due to the higher current/power demands needed by the AC system and to help keep the operating temperatures of the Bosch alternator reasonable. This is one of the reasons why the alternator position and other belt driven bits on the later version AC exxe are so different.

An example of design/engineering details often never appreciated in the exxe..

Bernice
Thanks Bernice👍
Even though I understand the need it’s a bit of a weird setup!
The fan behind the pulley is designed to draw cool air through the alternator which draws air from the pipe attached to side vents so what is the front one doing🤷‍♂️. Is it drawing air through that mesh from the boot or blowing hot air into the boot🤷‍♂️

Thanks Bernice👍
The fan behind the pulley is designed to draw cool air through the alternator which draws air from the pipe attached to side vents so what is the front one doing🤷‍♂️. Is it drawing air through that mesh from the boot or blowing hot air into the boot🤷‍♂️
I'm with you on this. My factory AC equipped '79 had the alternator fans like that, but did not have the open grill vent. So I'm not sure what the theory was for adding it. In my view the whole alternator cooling arrangement is not very effective regardless of the setup.

I'm with you on this. My factory AC equipped '79 had the alternator fans like that, but did not have the open grill vent. So I'm not sure what the theory was for adding it. In my view the whole alternator cooling arrangement is not very effective regardless of the setup.
My thoughts exactly but happy for someone to dispel my doubts about its workings😂🤷‍♂️.
The pendulum on my thoughts about electric a/c compressor have swung back to using a large output alternator so hence my need to understand ☺️

Then there is the question of where that dumps the air given the body construction in that area even if it did somehow remove air from the alternator vicinity. My 79 AC-equipped X does not have that obviously, but it is clear that Fiat was trying something given that several models use the cool air tube fed to the back of the alternator. They were aware of the need for cooling in any case.

I
Then there is the question of where that dumps the air given the body construction in that area even if it did somehow remove air from the alternator vicinity. My 79 AC-equipped X does not have that obviously, but it is clear that Fiat was trying something given that several models use the cool air tube fed to the back of the alternator. They were aware of the need for cooling in any case.
In my mind the fan draws air from the boot (seems weird) then throws it into the engine bay to dilute the hot air?🤷‍♂️
The other option of blowing air into the boot cavity doesn’t make sense to me.
Either way as I’m either installing an a/c compressor or heavier duty alternator to run an electric a/c compressor I think I will come up with a better solution!

Thanks Bernice👍
Has to be pulling. That geometry cannot push. And the pull will be very weak - very nearly pointless. But what little it does was cheap to do :)

Back