what kind of solvent to remove old windshield adhesive from an old windshield?

Be careful... but try Lacquer Thinner SECOND...

and try SHOE GOO REMOVER first.

The GOO remover does a fabulous job on most anything with no DISASTROUS results that I have found to date. Disasters are removing paint or staining some other areas with the solvent.

If that doesn't work, the try Lacquer Thinner. It USUALLY will not harm if spilled and wiped off immediately usually. Just be careful and put it on a rag first and use sparingly and see if it dissolves the adhesive. It should.

Next step UP is ACETONE... and this stuff usually cuts through anything but is very volatile and harmful to surfaces. So be very careful.

HTH...

and try SHOE GOO REMOVER first.

The GOO remover does a fabulous job on most anything with no DISASTROUS results that I have found to date. Disasters are removing paint or staining some other areas with the solvent.

If that doesn't work, the try Lacquer Thinner. It USUALLY will not harm if spilled and wiped off immediately usually. Just be careful and put it on a rag first and use sparingly and see if it dissolves the adhesive. It should.

Next step UP is ACETONE... and this stuff usually cuts through anything but is very volatile and harmful to surfaces. So be very careful.

HTH...

the windshield is out of the car, preparing it for installation

My suggestion...

Best practice is mechanical removal with lube. Meaning, a razor wet with paint thinner to start. Then use the thinner as a solvent.

HA... I thought it was still in the car!!!

Greg's idea is great also... I was thinking more of "smudges" than "globs" though, but a razor even dry usually works well. I personally don't like paint thinner unless used as a degreaser for parts as it never seems to "cut" into chemicals that are dry... and I usually don't like the smell either.

Anyway, let us know what works best for you...

Wait, I need to sit down...

That's TWICE tonight Tony's agreed with me. Either he's been replaced by an alien pod creature, or I'm getting more wise or something... :eek:mg:

done... no grease like elbow grease... now if that windshield guy can get his arse over here like he said he would at 9am I can get on with my day...

Back