What would you pay for windscreen replace/install?

fiatmonkey

Tim Hoover
Trying to guage what the cost should be. I honestly have NEVER in my life had to replace one so totally clueless. Have a quote for $299.00 glass+install. I don't know who mfg's the windscreen but hoping to find out.

I am considering doing this myself but I think that price is pretty good no? I have seen OEM's glass only - no install go for more but course have the higher quality, etc.

Thanks,
Tim

That's a fair price actually

Ask them if they have ever done an X1/9 WS and if they have experience with redoing factory "Butyl" installs. If the old W/S was installed with butyl, it should be reinstalled with Urethane. ESPECIALLY if you live in a hot climate.

If the tech has experience with this type of work, is exceedingly careful in not scratching the paint under the trim and glass, and uses a rust proofing primer on the pinch-weld, and is using FYG glass, I think you have a pretty good deal. That's what I would charge.

The Glass will cost him about 100-125, materials another 30/40. 145-160 for labor that comes with a warranty is absolutely fair.

I'd jump on this one Tim...

Very fair price... but do as Tommy said... as its not the typical rubber gasket installation.

And be sure they are reputable and will care for any leaks that may occur.

you can choose ur glass...

if it were me I'd ask them to use the FYG instead of their own SGC brand... it's almost half an inch wider thus giving it a larger bonding surface. Plus it has less distortion at the edges of the compound curves (near the corners)

Safelite for sure will do a "full cut" replacement which is the way to go. I am strongly considering going back with safelite in some capacity this year and their new service protocols are excellent for the customer.

T

Safelite wouldn't/couldn't quote me. A while back I went to their website, requested a quote and as I recall they have all their branches or whatever call you back. I got 5 calls or so (which was a bit annoying). Bottom line, they couldn't do an X 1/9 for me, or they didn't want to.

must be a cash job huh?

Yeah sometimes on older cars big companies want no part of them on cash jobs. But if you happen to have insurance that Safelite has some type of contract with (read as competition killing collusion and price fixing ) then they have to do it even if it means they make no money or even lose money on it.

I did auction work for them and installed windshields in 92 pontiac sunfires for 200 that had profits of almost 160 but then did OE Mercedes windshields at 200 that had net losses of 400-500. But then again the ratio of high net versus high loss was more than 100 to 1.

Bottom line, if you have glass coverage with no deductible try them again or some other large company that can easily absorb the cost.

T

easy choice...

if the glass you have isn't leaking, you don't have any rust issues around the glass, the crack does not bother you and IF the state does not state that you must (ie "fix-it-ticket") then IMHO spend ur money on other stuff. There is no guarantee that the new one wouldn't get broken by the end of the day.

So for me, it's an easy choice if you have other more pressing things that "need" to be done.

Be careful who you get to do it!

I had so call professionals put a new screen in for me (RAC Windcreens in the UK). They destroyed the rubber seal that the windshield sits on getting the old screen out. They told me they had to destroy it cos they did not have the equipment which you use to get old screens out. I think they were refering to a heater device which heats the wire stip fiat fitted to the screen in the seal to melt it to make it easy to remove.

When the new screen went in there was no rubber seal so it looked unsightly where the screen meets the metal on the inside.

Regards

Duncan

That's just lazy...or they are sadly lacking skill

There are lots of Body Shop supply houses that have something if not identical then very similar to that inner liner.

And, if you have even a hint of skill with an extractor of fein knife, no problemo -You can get the glass out rather easily without damaging them.

On the other hand...the old way of mounting W/S's that had the wire heater were mounted with a fairly pliable material called butyl. Using butyl you can leave that strip in with no worries because the butyl is the weakest link. But note - No car made today for the US would have a WS installed with butyl. And in the few vehicles that still do use it as a sealant for back-glass, vent, and quarter-glass, these pieces actually bolt on the car and the butyl serves only as a sealant.

I don't personally know of anyone that has to warranty the safety and or "water-tightness" of a WS installation that will use butyl anymore. Instead we all "glue" it in using urethane. In this case, removing that strip does make for a safer install because the exposed pinch weld is a MUCH more stable bonding surface and there's more of it. The job can be done with it in there, but that strip must be perfectly cleaned and then primed with the correct primer. All of which is a MAJOR pita. Once you do all of that, now your brand new glass is mostly bonded to a 30 year old piece of rubber and plastic. IMHO it's better to just replace it - if it must be put back to OE.

I've done both of mine, one with the strip left in. And one with the strip removed. The one with the strip removed gives almost 1/4 more bonding surface. I like that. But the other one does look much nicer from inside. So the choice is "greater safety" or "looks better"

Why urethane instead if butyl anyway? With the advent of second generation airbags, the bag first comes straight up hits the w/s and then fills up the space in front of the passenger. If the windshield bond failed, the airbag would be useless at best and possibly may even make a more dangerous, even lethal, situation at worst

If you need a w/s and want that strip, I'd make sure you discuss that with the tech and tell them you want it replaced. If they say they can't find it, check with Matt, I bet he can source some. And make sure they use the right primer for whatever material it is. That's very important - for safety's sake.

T

Back