What's the trick to sliding out the seats?

karhawk

True Classic
The seats in our 75X don't want to slide off the track, what is the trick?
The tracks are not bolted on the floor.
Thanks
Chris

There is a spring under the seat

between the rails. It connects the seat tray to the floor to provide some tension when you slide forward and a little help when you slide to the rear.

See if that spring is still attached and check for a bent lip at the end of the rail. I seem to recall the factory had a "retainer" built into the rail to keep it on there during noraml use. I could be wrong about that, it's been a while.

Also check for crud,loose change, etc in the track. The tracks are spot welded to the floor on the early cars, so you have to slide the seat all the way forward to get it off. I pushed the seat as far forward as a could with the seat back pointed towards the steering wheel. Then when it would go no further I reclined the back a shoved some more. Eventually I got it off.

There seems to be a stop built in, it only goes so far forward and then hits something on both sides

Weren't the early seats different than later? I thought you could simply slide off the later style but needed to unbolt something on the early set up?

Early seats

Don't think there was anything to unbolt on early seats. Just the damn spring hidden underneath. But then, the seat rails might be really dirty and corroded. I remember I had to put my floor jack behind the seat and jack it to push the seat far enough to slide myself behind the seat and push. A lot of loosenut may help. And patience. Even stubborness...

Daniel Forest
Montreal

try wiggling the seat side to side , sometimes when removing them the rails slide slightly uneven and feels like something is stopping it cold

Back