wheel bearing installation

If I'm reading that right....

.... The grease is from the grease packing for the outboard CV joint.

Shameless Plug: This thread is exactly why Midwest....

....offers rebuilt carriers with fresh bearings and seals on a no-core exchange basis.

There are so many variations of upright body castings, with varying rings, dust rings and seals used, that it is tough to find the right pieces.

It's also a total bummer wasting several hours getting things apart with the wrong tools and then ruining an expensive bearing during an install process gone awry.

Take the hassle out of this process and just swap the entire carrier:

In most cases, we can supply every variation of carrier front and rear for X1/9, 128 and Lancia Scorpion within 2 days, most are already on the shelf:

http://www.midwest-bayless.com/storefrontprofiles/deluxeSFshop.aspx?sid=1&sfid=208227&c=193063

Thanks for the CORRECT bearing Matt!

Okay, all done. Quick test drive, no more howl. All seems right with the world....for the moment.
G'nite.

Drive to work went well, wheel stayed on and the howl is GONE.:guitar:
BTW I used the "wack it with a BFH" method to free the ball joints. Worked great. I had been applying PB Blaster to these areas for weeks which likely helped a lot. The lower joint was stubborn and I ended getting two BFH and smacking it from both directions at the same time; pop, out it came. I think I got it all buttoned up properly. I can't swear the torque is spot on anywhere but should be in the neighborhood.
All in all not a bad job, would have been better to have gotten the correct bearing the first time around and not wasted 4 days. I did coate the carrier with POR15 and shot it with paint. The rotor shield was rusting pretty badly so that got POR15 too, some fiberglass to make up for the rusted away bit. Everything seems golden and even looks fresh and new. Next issue.......
Thanks for help once again.

Back