Wheel Fitment

Lturner7

Daily Driver
I searched the thread and couldn't find much info on what possible wheels specs can be run. I know stock wheel specs are minimal and I don't plan to run them. Ideally I'd like to run 15x8 or 15x9, maybe 16s if they're the right look but since my car is currently not on any suspension I can't use and offset tool to accurately measure to see what is possible, if anyone has one or knows off the top of their head it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Attachments

• 17240564_691850917654149_7862305282659516246_o.jpg
    17240564_691850917654149_7862305282659516246_o.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 54
I searched the thread and couldn't find much info on what possible wheels specs can be run. I know stock wheel specs are minimal and I don't plan to run them. Ideally I'd like to run 15x8 or 15x9, maybe 16s if they're the right look but since my car is currently not on any suspension I can't use and offset tool to accurately measure to see what is possible, if anyone has one or knows off the top of their head it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Are you planning on opening up the wheel wells? If you are talking 8" or 9" widths, I think that is a given.

Are you planning on opening up the wheel wells? If you are talking 8" or 9" widths, I think that is a given.
I'm not opposed to it but I'd love to know what it will take stock with the right offsets I'm sure something could work out. And this is on a 76 Scorpion.

I don't know much about Scorpion wheels and tires. For my X, I went with 13x6 and needed some minor body work adjustments but some of that was from the 185-70/13 tires (pre 60 series in the mid 70s).

Depending on offset and tire girth, you can't go much if any wider the 6 inches in rear without rubbing the stock suspension spring perch. Swapping to narrower coil overs should allow more width.

Last edited:
Depending on offset and tire girth, you can't go much if any wider the 6 inches in rear without rubbing the stock suspension spring perch. Swapping to narrower coil overs should allow more width.
I'll be swapping to the Koni single way adjustable coilovers if that helps.

With our cars, the limiting factor is often keeping the OD of the tire small enough.
So, I would start with the tire, not the rim.
Increasing the tire OD will really lift the car and looks stupid, IMO.

So, for 15“, a 195/45-15 is a match.
For that tire, 7“ would be normal, 8“ would give a stretch look.

I don‘t know if a wider 15“ tire of the same OD exists (205/40 or 215/40).

With our cars, the limiting factor is often keeping the OD of the tire small enough.
So, I would start with the tire, not the rim.
Increasing the tire OD will really lift the car and looks stupid, IMO.

So, for 15“, a 195/45-15 is a match.
For that tire, 7“ would be normal, 8“ would give a stretch look.

I don‘t know if a wider 15“ tire of the same OD exists (205/40 or 215/40).

Its a Scorpion on coilovers which can raise or lower the height. OD doesn't matter. Scorpions came with 1 inch taller suspension springs and same wheels and tires as Montecarlos so already looked stupid from factory. Remove any of the emissions, AC or Scorpion bumpers and car is skyjacked high.

Race compound tires > Phat tires

Another factor to consider is weight.

Larger rims weigh more than the OE 13” rims, heavier rims affect acceleration, braking, handling, ride and by extension economy (which none of us care about :) ) Greater inertia due to weight is the culprit here. More load to manage by the shocks and springs as the tire bounces up after going over a road imperfection, keeping the tire in touch with the road is what is important.

There is a limit to the value of adding tread width on a light car, you get to a point of diminishing returns quickly. The biggest value from a performance perspective of going to a 15” tire/rim combo is the reduced reaction time/stiffness of the shorter sidewall, at least on track or autocross. Modern cars need more tread width as they are dealing with much more weight, a GTI in 1983 was just over 2100lbs, today they are over well over 3100lbs.

I would use a tire/rim calculator to map out what is possible without major changes but as Ulix points out, diameter is going to be the limiting factor. Old cars had smaller wheel openings and wheel houses with an intended relationship of the wheel/tire assembly to the strut assembly. With coil overs you will gain vertical space potentially but you will run out of wheel opening. With a larger overall diameter you will change the final drive of the car making it in effect ‘taller’ which will negatively affect acceleration even more (larger circumference, more weight to turn equals poorer acceleration).

I have included a PDF from one of the many calculators out there which gives a very good summation of wheel/tire setups.

Attachments

• Scorpion Wheel Size Calculator.pdf
    227.3 KB · Views: 64
I ran 205/50/15 in front and 225/50/15 in back with no body mods, although I did have coilovers. Scorpion wheel wells are considerably larger than X/19. No real info to share on offset. The wheels were FWD so "deep" offset in construction, which was made up by spacers that were about 30mm thick as I recall.

Why the wider wheels/tires?

If more traction is wanted, softer_stickier tires will do FAR more than wider wheels/tires..

Go over 15" wheels, expect tire problems in the way of too large in diameter.. Know the tire/wheel diameter has been designed in to the suspension/chassis, deviate too much from this causes plenty of chassis/suspension/driving dynamics grief..

If wider wheels/tires is about "looks_fashion" most anything goes.. trading off drivability and all related.
As for wheel fitment, just because the wheels "bolt on" does not mean they are going to work properly. It is much more to wheel/tire choices as wheel offsets and more all figure into this. Incorrect wheel/tire choices will over stress wheel bearings (know the front wheel bearings on the Scorpion are Gen One x1/9 size small easily over stressed and wear out. If larger tires/wheels of the incorrect of offset is used, expect those front wheel bearings to become a constant problem..

What are your goals?
Bernice

How often do you like to replace wheel bearings?

Not sure if this was directed at my post or not, but in my case, I don't think I did much to accelerate wheel bearing wear. Making a tire stick out of the stock location like you see on pickup trucks, yeah that will do it. But my wheels remained in the same centerline location with relation to the wheel bearing, so no increased stress there. Possibly some small increase in stress from the extra weight, difficult to quantify.

In any event, the point is nearly moot with the -maybe- 1000 miles I put on the car in a year.

Why the wider wheels/tires?

If more traction is wanted, softer_stickier tires will do FAR more than wider wheels/tires..

Go over 15" wheels, expect tire problems in the way of too large in diameter.. Know the tire/wheel diameter has been designed in to the suspension/chassis, deviate too much from this causes plenty of chassis/suspension/driving dynamics grief..

If wider wheels/tires is about "looks_fashion" most anything goes.. trading off drivability and all related.
As for wheel fitment, just because the wheels "bolt on" does not mean they are going to work properly. It is much more to wheel/tire choices as wheel offsets and more all figure into this. Incorrect wheel/tire choices will over stress wheel bearings (know the front wheel bearings on the Scorpion are Gen One x1/9 size small easily over stressed and wear out. If larger tires/wheels of the incorrect of offset is used, expect those front wheel bearings to become a constant problem..

What are your goals?
Bernice
Largely for looks, partially to find tires that fit considerably easier. Obviously I'd be looking for the correct offset and so on as to not cause more wear on suspension parts, I'd also only considering getting "real" wheels, meaning quality forged 3pc design. I will be K24A swapping it as well and 250+ hp on 5.5in wheels doesn't sound ideal to me. As I said before I'm rebuilding the suspension and using the Koni adjustable coilovers from midwest bayless likely with use of their camber plates as well.

Another factor to consider is weight.

Larger rims weigh more than the OE 13” rims, heavier rims affect acceleration, braking, handling, ride and by extension economy (which none of us care about :) ) Greater inertia due to weight is the culprit here. More load to manage by the shocks and springs as the tire bounces up after going over a road imperfection, keeping the tire in touch with the road is what is important.

There is a limit to the value of adding tread width on a light car, you get to a point of diminishing returns quickly. The biggest value from a performance perspective of going to a 15” tire/rim combo is the reduced reaction time/stiffness of the shorter sidewall, at least on track or autocross. Modern cars need more tread width as they are dealing with much more weight, a GTI in 1983 was just over 2100lbs, today they are over well over 3100lbs.

I would use a tire/rim calculator to map out what is possible without major changes but as Ulix points out, diameter is going to be the limiting factor. Old cars had smaller wheel openings and wheel houses with an intended relationship of the wheel/tire assembly to the strut assembly. With coil overs you will gain vertical space potentially but you will run out of wheel opening. With a larger overall diameter you will change the final drive of the car making it in effect ‘taller’ which will negatively affect acceleration even more (larger circumference, more weight to turn equals poorer acceleration).

I have included a PDF from one of the many calculators out there which gives a very good summation of wheel/tire setups.

I get the weight thing but even a 17x9 volk artisan spirit only weighs 15lbs which is a fairly minimal uptake in weight. Tire size and compound matters and all but I won't exactly be racing this car it'll be sporty yes but I'm not looking to post crazy track times or any of the sort. The width of the wheel is more for looks than anything. Like this one for instance.
Screenshot 2023-10-09 194057.png

Also I'm not sure how we got on tire size or compound, that's a secondary issue for after I find wheels that fit correctly. Which, ideally I'd like to find something 15x8 or 9 for the rear, fronts can be smaller if need be, but I mostly need to know what offset would be needed to achieve this if possible.

OD doesn't matter.
It absolutley always does. If you raise the OD, you raise the gearing and you DECREASE brake power and unless you lower the car back again , you raise CoG whitch reduces cornering power and increases load transfer forward under braking. If you lower to compensate, you still have taller gearing and reduced brake power, plus now you have reduced suspension travel and suspension geometry operating away from the design point. No worries, now we fit bigger brakes and do a whole bunch of serious changes to get suspension geometric control back - oh and we probably need to some work on steering along the way.

In summary, unless you are talking doing all the downstream changes, don't change the OD.. If we are talking race - all bets off cos you need to change everything anyway :)

And... wide tyres come with increased sensitivity to dynamic camber change and the contact patch aspect ratio also makes them more skittish in response to road irregularities and more prone to aquaplanning and and and. But hey, have fun!
:)

Last edited:
Also I'm not sure how we got on tire size or compound, that's a secondary issue for after I find wheels that fit correctly. Which, ideally I'd like to find something 15x8 or 9 for the rear, fronts can be smaller if need be, but I mostly need to know what offset would be needed to achieve this if possible.
Becuz grippy tire compound accomplishes same function besides appearance of wider tires. Race tires also have the appearance of speed.

Scorpion5.jpg

Front tarmac wheels for 037 were 8 with the wider body. Go narrower which will help turn.

It absolutley always does. If you raise the OD, you raise the gearing and you DECREASE brake power and unless you lower the car back again , you raise CoG whitch reduces cornering power and increases load transfer forward under braking. If you lower to compensate, you still have taller gearing and reduced brake power, plus now you have reduced suspension travel and suspension geometry operating away from the design point. No worries, now we fit bigger brakes and do a whole bunch of serious changes to get suspension geometric control back - oh and we probably need to some work on steering along the way.

In summary, unless you are talking doing all the downstream changes, don't change the OD.. If we are talking race - all bets off cos you need to change everything anyway :)

And... wide tyres come with increased sensitivity to dynamic camber change and the contact patch aspect ratio also makes them more skittish in response to road irregularities and more prone to aquaplanning and and and. But hey, have fun!
:)
OD change would be small difference. Its not putting 36 inch tires on a lifted truck which people do everyday without swapping gearing. With the K swap won't be the Lancia gearing. With the coilovers can set to desirable ride height allowing suspension travel.

Back