Wheel stud/bolt/acorn etc. Questions.

DuaneEstill

Banned User
Putting a pair of Carroll Shelby Panasport knock-offs on, wondering what length to get in the two piece or if I could get single piece bolts. The biggest factor here is the ring spacer.

Here's picture. Note: The spokes used to be bronzish color with the rim being stainless, seen them on here a few times. I coated them.

Thanks in advance.

fiat_spacer_close.jpg

wheel.jpg

shoulder bolt/lug nut

Not sure on the length, but you'll need a shoulder style bolt or lug nut due to the outer surface of the wheel being flat. They are not tapered or counter sunk for the acorn style lug.

Is the spacer ring a centering ring as well? Asking since your bolt holes appear oblong vs. 4x98 pattern.

Duane... you have HUB-CONCENTRIC wheels here...

... and the oblong lug holes are so that it will fit on several different applications.

ON SOME U.S. made universal wheels (back in the '60s?) one would have an oblong washer that set in a countersunk ledge with a lug NUT... and the lug NUT and oblong WASHER would then CENTER the wheel on the hub.

YOURS appears to be CENTERED using the RING... as the oblong holes do not provide for a specific means of aligning the wheel. (The lug STUDS or BOLTS will naturally equally space themselves in these oblong openings WHEN the wheel is centered on the hub using the RING!)

SO... I said all that to simply say... the RING and the HUB and the WHEEL therefore MUST fit PERFECTLY or your wheel will not mount correctly.

As for the LUGS, I would use STUDS and NUTS as it will make mounting the wheel much easier than lug BOLTS. (As Tom said also... referring to the shouldered or FLAT lug NUT... I would use a WASHER under the nut in any case. A standard, tapered, lug NUT could be used if installed backwards. Doesn't LOOK very good, but would work...)

Bolts are harder to find and usually have only a few lengths available... whereas the studs come in several lengths and using nuts allows for much more flexibility for the length.

USE CAUTION though if there is no "shoulder" on the stud, or the stud's shoulder may be too long... do not thread it too far into the hub so that it COLLIDES with the spindle behind it!

So... ya bought TWO wheels... with your questions, I would assume you do not have two others already on the car... and "knock-offs" would mean "copies". Are you running two other "Panasports" on the other end of the car, or are these gonna be used for racing tires?

Have four...

Oh...sorry....I have four wheels, mounted with new tires. No racing, just rural roads.

So I should not get 12.5 x ?? studs and acorns with these? That's originally what they came with but need replacing due to rust.

If you could explain like where or in ignorant detail what I need to get I would appreciate it. I'm a mechanical idiot, but I did rebuilt the transmission on this car and it WORKED. But wheels and studs....nope.

Thanks.

Studs, yes. Acorns, no

Oh...sorry....I have four wheels, mounted with new tires. No racing, just rural roads.

So I should not get 12.5 x ?? studs and acorns with these? That's originally what they came with but need replacing due to rust.

If you could explain like where or in ignorant detail what I need to get I would appreciate it. I'm a mechanical idiot, but I did rebuilt the transmission on this car and it WORKED. But wheels and studs....nope.

Thanks.

You will need to get the normal length studs with this (consult Madd Matt) since you do not appear to be running any spacer plates other than possibly the normal 5mm plate.

What you need for lug nuts are the "shouldered" variety, however. These have a shank that fits fairly tightly into the wheel hole, and then have a "cap" like a bolt head, which provides the clamping force to hold the wheel on.

Something like this:

http://www.vtoperformance.com/acatalog/maglug.jpg

Pete

Well..

Guys....I'm so dumb on wheel stuff it's ridiculous.

I read the description on the link. Is this what I need?

Could someone make it really dumb for me and post a picture from a website that shows what I need to order? I'm sorry, none of this makes sense to me. What thread length do I need?

17 mm Hex - M12x1.25 cone seat 60 *

Available in thread lengths 28, 36, 50, 60mm

Set of 16 - $34.00 Set of 20 - $42.00
Made in Italy TUV certified

Try these lugs

It's hard for anyone here to help because we don't know the exact dimensions of your wheels (especially the thickness of the mounting flange, etc)

But what you want are Mag Style Nuts similar to these http://www.prestigewheel.com/Image5202.asp just take some measurements and find a good fit - order washers too. The shank on the nut is the important thing - it has to fit snugly inside the wheel but not be so long as to go completely through the wheel - Obviously, the shoulder of the nut must cinch down on the wheel before the shank bottoms-out against the hub. You'll want 12x1.25 threads. You will also want some screw-in wheel studs like these http://www.prestigewheel.com/cgi-bin/commerce.exe?preadd=action&key=2801 That will probably take care of you.

Duane, Dale, others...

I'm not SURE that a shouldered lugnut is what Duane wants or needs...

Those wheels have OBLONG holes... and I'm WONDERING if they should use a WASHER and FLAT fitting lugnut (or as I indicated earlier, a tapered nut mounted backwards) that essentially clamps down on top of the flange.

I say this because it "appears" to be HUB CONCENTRIC with the ring adapter... and most SHOULDERED LUGNUTS I have used were for LUG CONCENTRIC fitting wheels... like most "mags".

NONE of this I am sure about... as I know nothing about these wheels except they the lugs shoulda been kept with them in the first place!

I think it might be best for Duane to "mic" the holes at their narrowest points in order to see if a shouldered lugnut will indeed fit.

MAYBE... the best thing to do is to CALL Charlie DiMarco at Serpent Motorsport (serpantautosport.com)... 818-848-3681 and then email the fotos to him...

Another good source for parts MIGHT be Raul Gonzalez (lugnutking.com) at 909-376-8011.

HTH...

+1

The hub centering ring is manditory for this wheel due to the obround lug bolt holes. measure the edge to edge distance of the obround lug nut hole, this will provide the shoulder nut diameter. The thickness of the wheel center will provide the shoulder nut lenght (actual nut lenght will be slightly less than the thickness). Use a thick washer designed for shoulder lug nuts.

Wheel lug nut or bolt are M12 x 1.25 on a stock X1/9..

Bernice

Not sure on the length, but you'll need a shoulder style bolt or lug nut due to the outer surface of the wheel being flat. They are not tapered or counter sunk for the acorn style lug.

Is the spacer ring a centering ring as well? Asking since your bolt holes appear oblong vs. 4x98 pattern.

Bump....and more pictures, more questions.

Okay...finally got everything off and ready to mount the other wheels with new tires. 13's are getting scarily scarce, even in backchannel supplies.

Okay, here are pictures of the studs, and all of these were actually on the car at the same time. The new wheels, panasport knock-offs (Carrol Shelby brand apparently), with oval holes, and the hub rings. All shown. Please help me with buying new studs and possibly acorns, or the correct one piece. Would prefer one piece. Thanks guys. Please keep in mind I'm an idiot at this.

studs.jpg

wheel.jpg

fiat_spacer_close.jpg

wheel2.jpg

wheel_hub.jpg

Mark..

Well...what's your price for the studs and nuts? Need 16 Would prefer to keep it in the community. Shipping to MS. Thanks.

A little surprised at you guys.

One of the few times I got more help with my problem outside the forum than inside on an X problem. I'm a little bothered at that. I usually get a better response than this. Thanks for those that did. Studs and lugs are a pain to deal with, for sure.

Back