When it's not safe to display an American flag in an American high school

When you're a Jet...

you're a Jet all the way
From youre' first living breath
To you're last dying day...

This is just high school gang mentality; the flag is incidental; just an excuse-sounds like everyone was looking for trouble and got it. I mean, this is high school for cryin' out loud.

As far as the LBGT thing-that would probably play out differently if it played out at all. It's pure conjecture anyhow.

Maybe they should teach some flag etiquette at that school.

Title 4, Section 8 of the US Code states:

"(d) The flag should never be used as wearing apparel, bedding, or drapery."
"(j) No part of the flag should ever be used as a costume or athletic uniform."

Source: http://www.senate.gov/reference/resources/pdf/RL30243.pdf

True that! Maybe I'm getting old and cranky, but personally all these punks all need to go into the freaking marines or something... learn some respect. Gunney Holt helped me get 'LOCKED ON'! when I was down in Pensacola in AOCS... infact I remember one fine afternoon getting PT'd till I puked by him! (Something involving my 'brass' being tarnished every color of the rainbow or something!)

Ex-military out there understand... when I saw this video of one of the DI's from my AOCS days, it made the hairs on the back of my neck stand straight up! Gunney Holt would have made those kids feel like worms AND respect the country at the same time... intense straight up dude. Not enough of that being taught now days.

Pressure Point (1990) Aviation Officer Candidate School NAS Pensacola - YouTube

Where is written...

or even implied that everyone has to 'respect the country'...
This is a little counter to the basic notion of freedom of isn't it?:hmm2: I might need to defend the country or pay my taxes or do any other citizen duty when it comes to it, but this 'respect' thing should not be a subject for forced indoctrination by military service means or anything else.:2c:

I dunno

Whether polite, appropriate or not, it may be protected free speech, although the environment (public high school) may add other restrictions to what can or can't be done. :2c:

Key graph:

"Yet while the judge might have been right in his decision, the situation in the school seems very bad. When we’re at the point that students can’t safely display the American flag in an American school, because of a fear that other students will attack them for it — on May 5 or on any other day — and the school feels unable to prevent such attacks (by punishing the threateners and the attackers, and by teaching students tolerance for other students’ speech), something is badly wrong."

It sounds far more like....

deliberatre provocation than innocent 'display'.:hmm2: I wouldn't lose to much sleep over what high school students do in regards to free speech acts and even less over their motivations. This is just a tempest in in a tea cup.

Certainly the fact that an American flag can provoke a violent attack suggests there is a problem somewhere. Where is a matter of opinion.

Also, apparently "Uncle Sam" is in violation of Title 4 Section 8.

Whether it's the sectarian divide of the high school campus ..

In the USA, or the use of pennant flags of St.George on the namessake's day on Hackney cabs in London being banned, it's not a parochial US problem.

Most of you know that I rarely get involved in discussions about American national pride unless specifically invited, usually by usta to do so. Historically, I've taken Pat's view as my own as his core values are usually mine too. However, as most of this discussion is on our two countries' common ground I'll make a rare exception.

By allowing protests of this type to succeed the core values of the indigenous population, as well as the laws, are challenged and belittled, raising hackles and generating extremism.

Recently the incumbent loons in charge of Britain.com have, belatedly, shown some backbone in quelling dissent arising from a fundamentalist section of the muslim community regarding the actions of this sect instigating Sharia law in areas such as Tower Hamlets in London. Beatings of womenfolk wearing make up, not wearing the burkha, defacement of public lingerie ads, etc. have occurred.
The irony is that such anti-establishment secularism hits at the basic rights of all Brits/Yanks, by destroying the very core life values that made the immigrant communities make the journey to our joint shores in the first place!

Strangely, it seems only those 3-4 generation youngsters feel this way. Their parents disavow their children's actions. In fact, their belief in the core social/political values of their adoptive counties remains amongst the highest in our societies, as they made the move from oppressive states.

Is more schooling in acceptance of other cultures a way through? Perhaps. But the reining in of libertarian multiculturalism is another step too. By accepting everybody's view then no one single binding national identity, or pride in one's either adoptive homeland or birthplace, can be possible. :hug: :grouphug:
It may be militarily simplistic to treat society as an extension of the Forces but, eventually, by manipulation, coersion or public consent, common sense will prevail.

This, I submit Pat, is not an inconsequential topic old mate.

Last edited:
Not exactly sure I consider the subject...

itself inconsequential-just the particular incident under discussion. Let's call the discussion something of category mistake inasmuch as the issue raised was over the threat to the display of the Flag but the incident (in my view) was really just high school gangsterism gussying itself up as some kind of honest culture clash. Clearly I could be wrong on that specific interpretation but if my point there were granted, or at minimum given due weight, then the issue is of a very different order.
Also, I am not in disagreement with your main point-in fact I would consider myself a fairly strong assimilationist and am pretty adamantly opposed to 'identity politics' and overmuch emphasis on the 'uniqueness' of cultures and the need for the society to bend its knee to such. I find the insistence of immigrant groups on maintaining and essentially Balkanizing themselves in there cultural origins to be the very antithesis of the American or the British or the French or the German promise. I won't actually go into detail on my aversion to Sharia, its treatment of women, etc, except to say that it disgusts me at near every level.
For a spell I was heartened by Sarkozy taking a stand in favor 'Frenchness' trumping multiculturalism-I don't know where that has gone but I think the philosophy that in moving to France an immigrant is taking advantage of the benefits (material and otherwise) of French culture and should therefor bow to its norms. Melt in the pot or don't come, is I think, the issue.
I hope this is evidence that we are in fact in some broad agreement on this issue, that we speak with harmonious voice, and that our hearts beat as one now and forever:hug::hug::hug:
If not, I'm willing to be whatever you want me to be:grin:

Shhhh ...

His Girly might get jealous!:D

But, as we're on the subject: skweeeeel like a piggy boy!!:pigsfly: :pigsfly: :pigsfly: :grin:

Yeah but ............

Can she catch me?!
Not that I'm averse to a little play chase-and-corner! :censored::devil:

Girlie may be............!!

....Not that I'm averse to a little play chase-and-corner!.....

.........a large-ish sorta lass, Pottsy, but she's quick as a snake (like one of them Everglades anaconda's) when romantically 'play-fighting', and if she got ya cornered in a room with only one doorway, a skinny little Pom like you would be easy 'meat' for Girlie, mate, coz she's still savage about that "big as a London bus" remark ya made the other day! :mad2:
If she got hold of your :censored: in her hand, and gave you a little 'love-squeeze' , I'd probably hear you 'murmuring your delight' back here in NZ, mate! :cry:
Yep, we breed 'em big here in Kiwiland, mate, but ya gotta admit she is CUDDLY!!! :drink:

You're right there matey boy ....

She's more lass than a platoon of SAS lads could cope with. Fair play bruv, it took three months for my plums to find their way back home!
I'm not sure whether a return 'engagement' would be in my best interest.
Please pass on my apologies for having withdrawn my essential 'interest' at the last moment just before the final bell rang.

Back