Where and what tires are you getting?

DuaneEstill

Banned User
Tirerack.com is showing Sumitomo summers and Hoosies in 205's. Can only find "Cobras" on another site in that size. Seems the options are getting slim for wider 13's.

What brand, and where, are you buying tires.

Just bought a set of Sumitomos

185/60 13s from tire rack. Slapped them on yesterday.

I have the Sumitomos too...

And while they aren't the greatest in the cold or wet the price is right and best of all, they fit.

Simply... they do not have the BEST...

... traction when cold or wet.

They do work BEST in the heat... good wear rating too... and for most of us, they work well for the periods we generally drive our cars.

Even at their worst... they are far better than most of the 70 series that came stock.

I read some unflattering reviews on the Sumitomo HTR 200's. What exactly is the limit as far as width is concerned? Is the width of the wheel not important?

Going to 205's from the stock 165's seems like a bit much but then I know little to nothing about tires, spacing etc... I've just picked one of the options they've given me at the tire shop in the past.

I'll probably be buying an X pretty soon but it'll need 4 new tires and I'm trying to figure out how much grip I can get without buying new wheels.

Well... what are your sources...

I've only been running them for about 10 years and they are about the best you can buy for the street... at any price.

Use 185HR60x13s and you will have no issues whatsoever.

You are indeed welcome to install TOYO whatevers at $108 apiece and enjoy them for the few months they last outside of autocross racing.

I'll let you respond before I discuss any other issues with the 205/50s or the 215/60s and rim widths... treadwear ratings, speed ratings, etc.

There are probably MANY other happy Sumitumo users here also... with a smattering of other brands thrown in for good measure. But Sumis are inexpensive and plentiful, relatively... and work well in the spring and summer when most of these cars are driven.

Do let us know what your choices are and WHY... love to learn more.

http://www.mgexperience.net/archive/sumitomo_htr_200_warning/378462

That is one of the first things that came up when I googled HTR 200 .

I personally have no opinions on any brand of tire because I've only bought all seasons in the past and have no experience with high performance summer tires. I'm forced to rely on other people's opinions to make my decision.

I really don't know what my choices are, which is why I'm on here trying to figure that out. I was under the assumption that I'd have to stick with the 165's, but I'm quite happy to see that isn't the case.

I found no comparison

between the Sumitomos and the Toyo's.

Big driving difference between the 2. The Sumi's had 'average' cornering ability while the Toyos grabbed strongly.

But the price difference is the opposite, as you could buy 2 sets of Sumitomos to the price of 1 set of Toyos, and the Toyo's last half as long.
(meaning you'd be spending 4 times on the Toyos to get the same longevity.) Make sense? :grin:

I'd say yes, but

the 185 WILL RUB from lock to lock. At least in my experience, though the rubbing is only slight.

Front tire size on an X is pretty limited no matter what (stock or aftermarket wheels)... there just isn't a lot of room. You either come dangerously close to the spring perch or to the fender lip (during turns). ...and most times both.

The rear location is much more forgiving.

Remember the X originally hit the street with 145(!)/80/13's... then spent much of its production life with 165/70/13's...

I'm running 185/60/13s on stock FIAT wheels and have yet to experience any interference... but its really close in the front.

Other sizes I've run over the years with no issue are 185/50/13, 165/70/13 and 175/70/13 (although I have heard of people having trouble with the latter)

My experiences

The X has been lowered since 1992 with the generically available aftermarket lowering springs common for the X1/9. I've been running Sumi's the whole time, with no rubbing issues. Actually, in the early/mid 90's when I was still single and didn't have obligations, I used to spring for those Yoko A00R8RII tires. I went through a set every 9 months or so, as a daily driver. I loved that stick.

Tyres

On my X1/9: Sumitomo HTR200 185/60/13

On my 850 Spider: Sumitomo HTR200 175/70-13

I got them because they were the only tires in these sizes available from the Tire Rack (my all-time favorite tire seller). I am very happy with these tires. Street use only, I don't race.

Dave Spiegelthal
Centreville, VA
'71 Fiat 850 Spider
'77 Fiat X1/9
'77 Lancia Beta HPE

tire rack

I use on my cromodora daytonas CD88 6.5 x 13

front: 175-50-13

rear: 185-50-13

and I'm verry happy with it.

also I got another set same size on tirerack

and 2 tires 14" from directbuytire.com

I got: http://www.directbuytire.com/product-p/148i4afa.htm

for my campagonolo squadra wheels setup

front wheel 5.5 x 13 tire 175-50-13
rear wheel 6.5 x 14 tire 185-55-14

I didn't install yet (no time, I need to clean and paint the wheels)

I have Sumi185/60 13s...

....They are round, which is important...hold air inside, another good quality...seem to be fine in the rain and on dry roads...have used them between the temps of 50F to 90F with no issues. Haven't had the opportunity to drive when it is cooler out, yet. I must say that the only tires I ever had issues with on any of my X1/9s would be te Pirelli P3s, way back in the 1980's. Those sucked on wet pavement.

Dropped my newly painted CD-91s off at the tire shop this morning. Having the Sumi's HTR200 185-60-13s put on. Hope to have it on the road by this time tomorrow. Will check toe in. Anticipating vast improvements over the junk I was running up until now.

according to Falken

You can order their Ziex ZE-512 tires in 185/60/13. Discount tire sells them and Sears does too....Do not know if you can actually get them though....

Back