Where and what tires are you getting?

I am very happy with these tires. Street use only, I don't race.
That's my concern, there are some upcoming SCCA events which, pending my purchase of the car I plan to attend and I'd prefer to have tires that are up to it... the way it looks now I'll just have to go with the Sumi's and hope they suffice.

Forgive the constant stream of questions, but would it make any sense/ be possible to run 205's in the back? Maybe even a higher profile to give it a nose down stance... what effect would this have on handling? Sorry if these questions are dumb to you guys but after all, I'm here to learn. :D

Wider in back

Forgive the constant stream of questions, but would it make any sense/ be possible to run 205's in the back? Maybe even a higher profile to give it a nose down stance... what effect would this have on handling? Sorry if these questions are dumb to you guys but after all, I'm here to learn. :D

I haven't tried it, but some others have tried running low-profile 205s on the back and said good things about it... Makes sense because in back you don't need room for steering, and it's full-lock rub that limits you to 185/60 at the front.

But higher profile to get a nose-down attitude... I'm dubious... On an X the rear tires are most certainly not just along the ride, and I'd not want to lose any sidewall stiffness in back.

So my advice?
Start with the 185/60 Sumis. Drive them on the street. Put more air in them and autocross them a few times. After that, if you don't think the Sumis are good enough for competition, buy a set of tires and wheels just for that, and put them on before you run... And keep the Sumis for the street, where they are plenty good enough and will pay for themselves just by saving wear on your competition rubber.

Got a link Carl

You can order their Ziex ZE-512 tires in 185/60/13. Discount tire sells them and Sears does too....Do not know if you can actually get them though....

These tires were NLA for the last couple years. Maybe they brought them back?

yeah

that is what I thought too....the Falken website has them listed though...discount tire (which I use to use a lot in Seattle) might attempt to order them directly through Falken if you ask. Only dealer I have here in Alaska that will try (emphasize try) to get them is Sears, and I have zero confidence that they would really attempt it...

"Whorst" is ONE guy back in 2006...

... who probably did not center his wheels properly (a common problem) and one that I have experienced myself. Also... mis-torque-ing lug nuts on aluminum or mag wheels will cause them to tweak and make 'um wobble also. (Guess how I know that too...)

If his tires were balanced... then the problem was elsewhere... probably something HE did! HA!

Secondly... look at all the responses he got... Most were favorable.

Now add up all the responses YOU got... and most of these are favorable also.

As to your 'big and little' question...

I've run 175HR50x13s up front and 185HR60x13s with no problems... 205HR60x13s in the rear and 215HR50x13s will work also... but should have at least a 7 inch wide rim.

For YOU... you really should install a set of 185HR60s all around and THEN start playing with other sizes. You'll be happy with them for starters.

Last edited:
tire size and speedo readings

I noticed I was getting passed a lot on the interstate, no problem, I can take it. But it prompted me to check my speedo, with an iPod lap timer, I timed out several miles, got on average of 54.83 seconds between markers when trying to maintain 70mph. Math says I was going 65.7mph, so speedo is off by 5 mph. Car has (had) 170/60 (or was it 175/60, I'll check the spare...), now getting 185/60 put on today, bit taller tire no? Will this bring my speedo closer to accurate? Spinning a taller tire at the same rate as a shorter one means you're moving faster, right?
What was stock tire size from the factory in '81? I assume the speedo was calibrated to that.
Oh, I kept the best 175/60 as a spare but is that a major issue running two different sizes (short term emergency only) on the same axle?

According to this, a minor difference, but in my case a difference toward the better side.
http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

tire sizing...

Stock in the early days was 165/70R13, late models used 185/60R13.

Either way the stock spare was originally a 145SR13, hard to find.

Your 175/60R13 are 1" D. smaller than stock, so yeah you were spinning your wheels there... and getting an optimistic speedo reading.

185/60R13 will be better but not quite perfect (if there is such a thing), at not quite 1/2" D. smaller.

Keep in mind these are math game numbers and tires vary as to how accurate they are, even within a certain make. Some tires have "square" shoulders and others are more rounded.

Narrower than that...

Stock in the early days was 165/70R13,

Actually. Fiat literature and magazine road tests I have on the X show that it came with 145HR-13 (80 series) tires on all corners thru early 1977(!)... Michelin XAS mostly...

I remember my older brother's '79 coming new with 165/70R13 Pirellis... the first X I saw that came fitted with 185/60R13s was a late Bertone car with the "Phone dial" wheels... '86 or '87. Pretty sure they were Pirelli P6's.

Actually. Fiat literature and magazine road tests I have on the X show that it came with 145HR-13 (80 series) tires on all corners thru early 1977(!)... Michelin XAS mostly...

I remember my older brother's '79 coming new with 165/70R13 Pirellis... the first X I saw that came fitted with 185/60R13s was a late Bertone car with the "Phone dial" wheels... '86 or '87. Pretty sure they were Pirelli P6's.

That is correct on all counts. They came with 165/70 13 tires through the early 86 models. The "Phone dials" brought the 185/60 13 P6s with them.

Yep... on all counts...

Others have answered...

The spare will be fine and the awkwardness of it will encourage you to get the tire fixed promptly.

Back